Sleeping North-South

What is the origin of the belief that sleeping north and south is better for health because our vascular system would be aligned with the Earth’s magnetic field? I heard of this from a friend, and I can’t think of a reason this belief would have gotten started.

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Stupid people think magnetism is magic. There are zillions of idiotic beliefs about what magnetism will do. People make stuff up because they are stupid and pass it along because they are stupid and people believe it because they are stupid. It just happens, like glurge.

Dunno, in Japan it means you are dead! Only bodies are laid out with their heads pointing north…

The slight mismatches in rotational velocity between the head and the feet will create coriolis eddies that dislodge blood clots. Also, if you have a wet dream and splurt northward, this effect will force the juice to werve rightward, sparing your nose and hitting you in the eye. This has clear, proven health benefits.

Yeah. It looked like radiation was going to be the new magnetism for a while, but it turned out that radiation is, you know, bad for you. Some people haven’t gotten the memo, though.

Magnetism just doesn’t affect organisms. Radiation is a whole other ballgame. Small amounts of radiation may very well be good for you the same way small amounts of other stressors stimulate the body and its growth/repair mechanisms.

There are zillions of idiotic beliefs about what magnetism will [not] do. People make stuff up because they are stupid and pass it along because they are stupid and people believe it because they are stupid. It just happens, like glurge.

O Irony, you cold bitch.

Touché.

Researchers use magnetic fields to alter neural activity when studying brains in humans.

I sleep, wall = head
compass point never mattered.

But, come to think of it… Head North felt slightly better…hmmm :dubious:

(feels, since I’m in a situation where I could have chosen any point if reference, to lay my head, I’m north at the moment)

Idiots.