Sleepy Hollow

It seemed to me that that’s exactly what he was working on when GW sicced Ichabod on him; Crane’s recollection was that George said he had to be stopped before he caused the end of all mankind. The apocalypse always seems to require a lot of prep-work, gathering artifacts, opening seals, finding a Chinese girl with green eyes, etc. I figure we’ll learn he was at the battle to locate some item that’s still lurking about.

I liked it. Certainly enough to keep watching. I thought the scare at the end was particularly effective.

Me too :slight_smile:

Which generation are you referring to? Old people? Because Highlander was made before I was born but it’s still pretty popular in my social circle. It’s basically considered to be the definition of a low budget cult classic. It used to run on what was essentially a continuous loop on several different cable channels when we were kids. Even the pretty girls are familiar with it. If you put pictures of your vacation to Scotland on Facebook expect at least a 4 to 1 ratio of Highlander to Braveheart jokes.

As for Sleepy Hollow, I found its insanity to be charming and entertaining. It’s as if the writers set out to make the least original work ever, but took some LSD during the creative process and accidentally made something that was so derivative and a mismatch of so many different cliches that they somehow created something unique.

I can envision how the development meeting must have gone for this show…

Network Exec: I want a buddy cop detective show!

Writers: Yeah we can do that.

Network Exec: But make it like Supernatural or Grimm, you know monsters.

Writers: Sure, we can do that. I mean, everyone wants to make the next Buffy right?

Network Exec: But it has to be a remake of something, remakes are hot right now! How about that headless horseman movie by Burton and Depp. That was an ok movie, rip that off.

Writers: No problem. So you want it to be a period piece?

Network Exec: Christ, no! People hate period pieces. Make him time travel or something.

Writers: Gotcha, time travel. We’re assuming you’ll want a bunch of fish out of water jokes. Like he’ll be afraid of cars etc?

Network Exec: Now we’re all on the same page. Also, National Treasure.

Writers: What?

Network Exec: I liked that picture. Rip it off somehow.

Writers: Ok… so… maybe he needs to find George Washington’s… bible? Because… the headless horseman is one of the horsemen of the apocalypse?

Network Exec: Perfect! I’m green lighting it.

Six months later…

Network Exec: What have you got for me?

Writers: The headless horseman has a machine gun.

Network Exec: Love it.

Writers: Also we have this demon creature who’s pretty creepy. I can’t remember where we ripped off the “he travels through mirrors” thing, but I want to say some sort of combination of Harry Potter and Pan’s Labyrinth.

Network Exec: I’m so proud of you boys. We’ve accomplished something truly great here.

Bravo!

The meeting for Under the Dome might have gone something like that. But what a different result!

Thread winner!!

My nephews, 18 and 23, know it’s where the line “There can be only one!” comes from, but that’s about it. Their entire generation of the family, about 30 or so people ranging from mid-teens to late 20s, couldn’t tell you who played the Kurgan or recognize Clancy Brown from it - they know maybe Sean Connery. The ones I’ve talked to about it haven’t sat thru the entire thing, as they find it too slow-moving. A few of the guys do like the series, but that wouldn’t help with a Kurgan/Clancy Brown reference.

Cheesy and ridiculous. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Amen to that. I feel that the show gave me exactly what I wanted. I was amused, I was interested, and a couple people had their heads chopped off. As for historical inaccuracy, I actually find that a show like this often causes me to go searching for the real facts when the history seems wrong, so I actually learn something. TV makes you smart!!

I watched the premiere last night, and liked it more than I thought I would – despite Clancy Brown (who I’ve always had kind of a thing for) and John Cho being red shirts. I didn’t mind getting all of that exposition out of the way, in fact I kind of liked it because we already know what’s going on (for a change). Plus, maybe it’ll mean more of a focus on action rather than mystery. So far I like the cast, and I think the sister character will be interesting. My season pass remains in place for the time being… :slight_smile:

She wasn’t. Just her headstone was placed there, no doubt with help from the now-dead priest.
P.S. Oh, and I don’t know enough about history to have any of that stuff bother me.

Oh my goodness, this gap in cultural knowledge needs to be remedied ASAP.

This summer I sat down with my 12-year-old grandson and we watched Highlander. When I pointed out last night that the sheriff who lost his head had played The Kurgen, he laughed and laughed. He was more surprised to find out the guy was also the voice of Mr. Krab on Spongebob.

Oh my god he’s Mr. Krab! @_@

I am half-serious when I say this - attention spans are seriously shrinking. I know everyone said the same about us when MTv started up, but I’ve never seen the guys sit thru something for longer than 20 minutes - they’re texting, playing games, etc. They can make no cultural connection with anything since they only look at the screen when there’s an explosion or gunfire; Highlander is about 5 minutes long to them. They regularly fail to recognize actors they’ve seen in multiple films, because they don’t really pay attention. They’re blown away how we oldsters recognize “people like you know them.” Or like, you know, we were looking at the screen… :rolleyes:

Meh, you’re extrapolating the behaviors of young people you know and assuming everyone in their generation acts the same way. As I noted previously, I’m in my mid 20s, only a couple of years older than your nephew, and I adore Highlander. I know lots of people my age who like Highlander.

It’s possible your relatives just aren’t really movie people. If anything, the internet and cheap DVDs have made older music and movies more accessible to young people. I was dating an 18 year old last year and she was fond of all sorts of longer or slower paced classic movies. A lot of people proudly self identify as “nerds” these days, and a big part of that is movie fandom.

Thanks, you guys are too kind.

I love this. It ramps up to the supernatural action level of Buffy season 3 in the first episode. You gotta love that.

And I loved the headless horseman crossing sign in the graveyard scene. It was easy to miss but it’s right after the priest/minister cuts the top of a sign off with the chains. That really cracked me up.

What I want to know though is why bother preserving the head unless you need it for something like a ritual later on. Just expose it to sunlight and destroy it, right? Then you don’t have to worry about. But no, let’s preserve it in a lovingly handcrafted container so it’s nice and comfy. Uh, sure. Why the hell not.

I think it was less a case of preserving and more an attempt to contain it - it appears to still be active and I’m betting it’s indestructible, so they put it in that box (which will likely be revealed to have magical properties, like preventing the Horseman from finding it on his own) and buried it in a secret location.

Of course, the bad guys that trapped Katrina in another dimension after she absconded with the head might well wonder what’s buried in the churchyard since it couldn’t possibly be her body, her gravestone wasn’t the most subtle marker, and a member of her coven lurking in close proximity for over 200 years would indicate something important needed guarding, but…

He will always be Sgt/Pvt Zim to me. The hero of the Federation who captured the brain bug on Planet P (with a little help from a Barney Stinson, Dr. Christmas Jones and a squad of attractive guys and girls who I never saw again.)

I tried to give the show a chance. I realized going in having an actual headless horseman was going to be a challenge to explain, so there would be a supernatural element. And then time travel. But I couldn’t get into it. I got as far as the horseman killing the priest.

So the horseman is Death of the 4 Horsemen. Except somehow Death was contained in a grave for 200 years?

And what’s with the black cop? She’s a Lieutenant. A lieutenant is driving around in a car on beat patrol? As the junior officer in the pair? In a city with enough of a police force the chief doesn’t know her by name on sight? What?

I won’t miss it. Y’all enjoy.