Sleepy Hollow

I love this because it turns the “nice small town” vibe they’re clearly going for into one of the biggest cities in the state. But it was nicely ridiculous, I’m in.

I’m of the generation that was saddened but not surprised to see Clancy Brown die because he died in The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai. The drug-addled brainstorm that you describe resulting in this show reminds me of what I’d imagined leading to that mixed up masterpiece of cinema. Throw a bit of “Rip Van Winkle” into the story of Ichabod Crane? A touch of Supernatural? How about Illuminatus–hey, it’s the Eye in the Triangle!

I caught this tonight & plan to keep watching. Of course the history is not Our History. And the pretty little town isn’t in New York State–but it’s beautiful & atmospheric. The population of 144,000 is not accurate but is fraught with mystical significance–in myth & legend systems beyond the Christian one.

Some really scary bits, touches of humor & interesting actors. Tom Mison certainly looks better as Ichabod Crane than as Potty Perowne in Parade’s End

I was severely annoyed that yet again some numskulls failed to get the name of the Book of Revelation right. Twice! I was otherwise enjoying it, but that ruined it for me.

I just watched the pilot online; I liked it quite a bit, and I’ll keep watching. I enjoy horror-themed stuff a lot, and I’ll support shows like this that are at least somewhat decent every chance I get.

That seems like a dumb reason not to like a show. Crane is a soldier, not a scholar or priest. Or pedant.

yes, I think there is something in endtimes prophecy that uses that particular number. Perhaps the idea of that being the number of people who will wind up in heaven, or somesuch.

Yup, Wiki. the number is all over the place in religions and New Age philosophizing.

Hubby and I got into a heated discussion about whether or not the citizens of TV Sleepy Hollow are aware of the story. I maintain that they most definitely do not. Hubby swears the polygraph guy looked incredulous when Ichabod stated his name.

Also, am I the only one who cannot take the guy from Mad TV seriously? I keep waiting for him to sit on a leather chair and accidentally make a carting sound. “Good day, sir. I said ‘Good day!’”

Actually, Crane was a professor of History at Oxford.

I was wondering that, too. On the one hand, the writers could have handled this with some handwaving, something about how this guy is obviously a fruitcake because he believes he’s a fictional character, only to have someone uncover a hint that Irving was actually recording a local legend about people who actually lived, changed the details and story for his own purposes, and there you have it… or, (and this seems to have been their choice) in this fictional world, Irving never wrote the tale to begin with, therefore no one bats an eye.

I would have liked some sort of acknowledgment of the story, if only because it makes suspension of disbelief a bit harder when something that well-known is completely ignored.

I barely caught it, but isn’t the captain’s name Irving?

Big short fat Irving.

That would take an extremely dumb soldier to misread the title when he was holding the fucking Bible in his hands open to the fucking Book of Revelation right in front of him and looking right at it. It isn’t dumb of me to dislike stupidity. Soldier or detective or demon hunter, whatever, Crane shows considerable intelligence and just cannot be that dumb. But the fucking script writers can.

In the original story, he was a schoolmaster. Presumably literate. In a time when everybody read the Bible a lot.

Right. The fucking scriptwriters can. And the fucking actor can. And the fucking director can. And the fucking everybody else on the set who either didn’t catch it, or thought it was too insignificant to mention it between takes. So it’s at least plausible that Crane can.

I was about 12 before I stopped calling it “Revelations,” because that’s what every one of my Sunday School and Summer Bible School teachers called it. It’s just like “nucular” or “irregardless” or “I could care less.” It’s something millions of Americans say, including Presidents with Ivy League degrees. I didn’t say it makes you dumb to get so exercised about it, but I still think it’s a dumb reason to not watch a show. Of all the things in this show to refuse to suspend your disbelief over, that has to be last on the list.

Again, most people aren’t that pedantic. Was the bible even open to the title page of Revelations? The bookmark was set to a particular verse.

I didn’t realize until this thread that it was “Revelation,” and not “Revelations.”

Thanks for pointing out exactly how fucking stupid I am, Johanna.

I struggle with pronouncing Job and Ecclesiastes, so bugger Revelation(s).

I always thought the full name was ‘the revelation of John on Patmos’ but it looks like no one refers to it that way. I can see tacking an ‘s’ on the end though. It’s only 20 pages (pre-print of KJV online) but seems to go on forever.

I always thought it was the Apocalypses.

Alpaca lips?