Sliding into first in Softball

I’m watching the gold medal game between USA and Japan. So far, I’ve seen two Japanese players slide into first, both after a sacrifice play (I think).

Can anyone think of a reason why a player would slide into first, other than to avoid a tag? In neither case were they avoiding a tag.

Head first or feet first?

A lot of players seem to think they can get to the base a little quicker sliding head first.

Head first. You’d think their coaches would disabuse them of that notion.

It took decades to break Major Leaguers of that common knowledge problem. Probably still some that do it instinctively.

It’s not quite as clear that diving is slower than running through the bag. Executed perfectly, it is possibly faster.

Of course, that “executed perfectly” is the rub. Unless you time it exactly, any advantage you gain by reaching out with your hands is lost when you hit the ground and start slowing down. Add in the risk of injury, and it makes zero sense to do it.

See this video (but I highly recommend turning off the sound to avoid the annoying music):

Is there any chance they were trying to break up a play by the first baseman?

Is that even allowed, with the “double-base” system they are using? There is an “orange” base next to the “white” base at first base; the intent is for the runner to touch the orange base and the fielder to touch the white base. (You don’t see this in college because the NCAA rules specifically forbid its use.)

Very interesting and unexpected video.

Not in the plays I saw – the first basewoman was in the usual glove-pointing-to-3rd stance. Plus, softball has that weird double-bag at first.

ETA: Slightly ninjaed by @That_Don_Guy.

I still see it in baseball often enough to not even notice that MLB players have been disabused of the notion that sliding into first is slower than running through (in all but the most perfect scenario, it seems – and then why risk injury?)

It seems to be a long long fight against ignorance.
It needs to somehow be taught in Little League and reinforced at all levels.

But it is less common now than in the past from what I can see.

As one who has seen a thousand plus softball games, I would agree not being tagged is the primary reason for sliding into first. However, I’ve seen runners beat out the play by diving head first into first. Not often though.

Not softball, but great sliding.