Slightly odd behavior. Or not. You tell me.

Two couples are close friends. On the weekend before St. Patrick’s Day, couple 1 mention that they are planning on feasting on corned beef & cabbage on the 17th. During a brief discussion, couple 1 invites couple 2 to their home for dinner that day, an invite that was received with enthusiasm.

Mention was made by C2 about the wonderfulness of Dijon mustard with regard to corned beef. The wife of C2 asked if such mustard was present in C1’s pantry. Nope. Wife of C2 then announced they would bring the mustard.

March 17th. C2 wife is detained at work and cannot make the event. C2 husband shows up, mustard in hand. The three enjoy a robust meal, all partook of the mustard.

Clean up time. Dishes stacked, table cleared. C2 husband grabs the mustard and places it by his keys. “Don’t want to forget this.”

Parting time. C2 husband picks up the keys and mustard, thanks C1 for a great meal, and leaves.

The fact that he took the mustard with him when he left – please assign a level of oddness to this act. Or, not unusual at all?
mmm
(and, just to get it out of the way: Username/post combo)

Not odd. Maybe a little thoughtless, but unless couple 1 expressed great enthusiasm for a mustard they didn’t previously care for enough to own, I’m not sure he’d think to leave it with them.

If it was a dessert or a component of the meal it would be weird to take home with you because those are essentially gifts to the host who then share with them with everyone but a condiment is okay to take back unless it was presented as “This is for you; you guys’ll love it”.

A little odd, unless the party was meant to be a pot luck. I’d have asked if the hosting couple would like to keep it before taking it myself. But on the odd/rude meter I’d place it very, very low. Odd enough to notice, but wouldn’t impact my positive feelings towards the guest couple.

Odd? Not really. If there was no particular hint or inquiry concerning this mustard ("OMG! This mustard would blow up a nuns dress! Where can I get some??) then leaving it would be more odd, considerably.

Was the mustard presented as a hostess gift? If not, I don’t think it was odd. It sounds like this is a mustard they use regularly at home.

The husband did this, right? His wife NOT present?

If you’re going to start assigning oddness ratings for ANY actions occurring under such circumstances, well, I think it will take up all your time, to be honest!

Who wants to bet the wife ragged on him about it, when he came home?

I’d call it clueless. That’s just not how things are done. Any food, or consumable, stays, at least if it has been opened. Wine, mustard, extra paper plates … you leave it as a mini-gift. You never take it back.

ETA: Elbows, that’s exactly what I assumed? “You brought the mustard home?”

This. Seriously if they didn’t love it what’s the point in leaving it.

Was it a brand new bottle of mustard brought as a gift, or the half-bottle of mustard from his fridge?

I assumed the latter, and i think it would have been odd to leave it, unless the hosts indicated they especially liked it. (Wow! This mustard is really fabulous with the corned beef! )

If it were a new bottle, it would be normal to treat it as a small gift, and leave it there.

Not a huge deal either way, really.

Hopefully the husband brought the wife the mustard with a plate.

OP checking in.

These posts nicely illustrate my position, for the record.

I was a new, sealed bottle, clearly bought just for this occasion. I can just see the wife jumping on him about his cluelessness.

(also, FTR, it is certainly not a big deal to me; I was merely interested in whether my position is unique)
mmm

If your friend offers to buy, cook and serve dinner, and also clean up after you, the least you can do is bring a gift, like a bottle of mustard. Taking the mustard home is cheap. Did he ask to take home some corned beef, too?

Huh. I never would have guessed in a million years that’s where your username came from.

A bit weird. But probably the “I wasn’t even thinking” kinda weird.

He might even have thought it would be a bit weird to LEAVE a used bottle of mustard. One could consider that a gift. Then again, a gift of a used bottle of mustard sounds rather insulting in a way (hey, you can’t even afford mustard, so I’ll leave you some). He just didn’t think it through and realize that it would look weirder/cheaper to take it.

Plus the possibility he lives with a cheap/crazy woman who would have his ass if he left the mustard.

My EX woulda had a cow if I suggested we take some mustard just in case. And she woulda had a cow if I called and asked if they had mustard. Then she woulda bitched that there was no mustard to be had after the fact.

Hence the EX part.

Not that weird.

Since you didn’t already own Dijon mustard he might have thought you didn’t really like it as an everyday food, and at most would eat it once a year with corned beef. If he had offered to leave it would you have accepted?

If he was given the mustard by the wife he may have felt he has some duty or obligation to being it back like a kid entrusted with something precious. A bit odd but overall barely a .001 on the Weird-o-Meter.

I can easily see someone who is a touch clueless socially doing this. As an example the “Dijon” may have (in his head) be this precious resource to be shared, conserved and brought back to the wife. Would we question this behavior if someone brought some homemade artisanal hot sauce to a barbeque and took the unused portion home? No one would raise an eyebrow.

I have taken un-drunken micro-brew beer bottles home (which I brought) from a barbeque where it was clear it was not a popular choice. Why waste it?

I absolutely must have the Grey poopon mustard with corned beef. Might add it to a bratwurst. But a jar lasts me many years. It is kinda pricey for a mustard, but cheaper than a bottle of wine. Leave the jar. If they invite you next year, it is already there. Then you can bring some special beer to go with the corned beef.

Now, I would not have been surprised had the host(ess) offered to send a plate home for Mrs. C2, given that it’s a holiday meal and they’re good friends and she probably didn’t get any dinner.

Not for a regular dinner party, though.

I would.

In fact, if someone tried to send any food I’d brought back with me, I’d be really offended.

The closer the friendship, the less odd it becomes.