Slightly unusual eating habits you (or someone you know) has

I am getting increasingly intolerant of getting juices on my face and of taking big bites of food as I get older. So I like to cut up fruit into bite-sized chunks before eating it, I will cut large hamburgers in two, I will snap a cob of corn into two shorter segments, etc. I’m not insistent on it, it’s just my preference.

Okay, here’s mine - this is a safe space, right? Right? Anyway, I picked this up from my dad - scraping the pan. You know, after you have cooked whatever meat and it has been removed for serving, and what’s left behind in the pan, the drippings - well, that’s where all the flavor is - grab a spoon! Cheeseburgers cooked on the stovetop in a cast-iron pan - crispy burger bits with burned cheese and all that burger fat - yum! A whole chicken cooked in a large pot atop some rice, and the rice around the edges is overcooked and crispy, and full of chicken fat - awesomely satisfying! Meatballs cooked in the oven on a baking sheet, bits of flavored meat left behind and floating in meatball fat - woo-hoo! I am usually a healthy eater and consume a mostly plant-forward diet, but when the pan is sitting there cooling down before being washed, I cannot help myself - if I don’t leave the room I will descent on that f-ing pan!

I didn’t think that’s especially odd. Most pan sauces get their flavor from the “fond”, the cooked bits stuck to the pan.

I prefer cookie dough (made with Egg Beaters to avoid salmonella, though I take my chances with the flour) to baked cookies.

I like what I call “M&M Water.” I put some M&Ms in a small glass or paper cup, then pour in ice-cold water a couple inches higher than the top of them and let the candy coating melt off into the water. Then I eat the whole thing kind of like soup. I’ve done it ever since I was a little kid, and I still enjoy it! (I think my childish logic was that I liked to suck the coating off the M&Ms, so this saved a step. :slight_smile: )

Never met anybody else who does it, so I guess that makes me a weirdo.

OMG, we must be related. My brother was the exact same way. He would get grossed out of existence if I mixed my corn with my mashed potatoes and ate them that way. I once had the idea of getting him Army mess trays for Christmas, with the little compartments to keep his mashed potatoes from his green beans.

I’ve found that living up here in Baja Frostbite Falls, you have to eat quickly before your food gets cold. So, the waitress plops down a big plate of Breakfast, you’ve got to do some triage: Are cold biscuits as bad as cold eggs? I’ve gotta eat those eggs first.

I can deal with room temperature bacon, warm toast, very warm sausage, but my eggs have got to be hot. And then I realize I’m eating one food at a time.

This may be somewhat common - I get obsessed over a food, and eat it at least a couple of times a week for a few months, and then one day just lose my taste for it. I still may kind of like it, but not enough to bother buying or making it.

Man, all you people are weird!

How is it that I’m the only normal person in the world?

Somewhat similar. For a week i ate a chicken pot pie for lunch, then a ceasar salad for dinner. But I can go back to that, after a break.

I don’t care if I eat the same thing over and over. Got a small ham one weekend, I had ham for the next 6 meals. Cooked a lasagna, had 1/3rd, told Inna that I can have the other 2/3rds over the next two nights.

I also drink an extraordinary amount of milk, about 1 gallon every 2 days.

I’m very much reminded of the cousin in “Toys” who was second-generation (at least) career military, who goes on a rant in the toy factory cafeteria (copied from the IMDB entry for the movie) -

  • Patrick Zevo: I can’t even eat. The food keeps touching. I like military plates, I’m a military man, I want a military meal. I want my string beans to be quarantined! I like a little fortress around my mashed potatoes so the meatloaf doesn’t invade my mashed potatoes and cause mixing in my plate! I HATE IT when food touches! I’m a military man, you understand that? And don’t let your food touch either, please?

I worked with a fellow who ate the exact same meals every week after week after week. I found this out when he complained one day that his grocery bill had gone up a surprising amount the previous week. I asked how he could tell. He said it was because he bought the exact same items of food every single week, so his grocery bill was virtually to the penny. The 7 apples he bought could vary the total cost by a bit.

Heretic!

Forks only, unless a spoon is absolutely necessary (runny soups, ice cream, etc).

Nope, by my logic, the sandwich is the food, to be eaten all at once, no different than a pizza. The whole is more than the sun of the parts, in other words.

I also make thanksgiving casserole with the leftovers from the meal, which is Right and Proper.

I prefer my cookies to be slightly burnt. Chocolate chip cookies should be brown, not golden brown. Gingerbread should be burnt as well.

Any candy like Skittles or M & Ms are arranged into linear symmetrical patterns. The extras get eaten first.

I eat cereal dry. i’ll drink milk from a glass as I eat but milk never goes in the bowl.

I eat my porridge, soup, and any soft desserts (e.g. icecream, custard etc) with a teaspoon. I prefer that serving size.

If the ice cream is cold enough, you can eat it with a fork. Sometimes i do. I rather like the precise feel of using a fork.

I eat my soup and my milky cereal with a spoon, though.

Me: “Honey, do I have any unusual eating habits?”

SO: “Well, you do eat all the carrots out of pot pie first because you don’t like them.”

True. I like raw carrots just fine, but I dig around for minutes to get all the cooked carrots out of any pot pie before I actually start in on the good stuff. This includes any shepherd’s pie or stew that has carrots.

SO: “Then why do you always put carrots in your pies and stews?”

Me: “They add color.”

I’m thinking the whole eating quirks thing must be another reason military boot camp is hard on new recruits.

I mean they clearly cater to the “Don’t Let Stuff Touch” cohort, but I bet for all the rest the recruit gets “Eat what we give you or starve.”

Mine is more of a dishes and utensils thing. I will set a used (but not dirty) cup or plate or whatever on the counter next to the sink, thinking I can reuse it later. But if it winds up in the sink, then nope - now it’s dirty and I need to get a clean one out.