Slow cook chicken casserole recipes

Anyone have any they want to share?

I posted about this one recently. Basically it’s chicken and white rice cooked at 325 for 2 hours. It’s good, but I’m looking for something different, but that will also result in chicken that basically falls apart from slow cooking.

I think something that incorporates canned, diced tomatoes would be interesting.

I’m going to look around online, but would prefere something from a Doper.

This one imitates Hainanese Chicken but it’s really just spicy chicken stew:

1. Make a bed of cut leeks and ginger cut into thin strips at the bottom of a deep pot or crock.
  2. Layer cut chicken (better to use leg quarters as they are dense and hold a lot of juice) over your bed. Minimize air cavities.
  3. (this is the cheating part) - crumble one small cube of chicken flavoring/bullion on top of the chicken. One cube for every pound of chicken.
  4. Cover the pot with a lid that closes tight but will not build pressure. A glass lid is good.
  5. Cook for 1 1/2 hours over your smallest stove top burner, at the lowest heat. Don’t add water or anything. Just make sure it’s covered throughout and heat is kept really low.

If it turns out ok, you produce a rich gravied chicken and the meat is spoon-tender. The leeks, ginger and the cube will give you all the flavor you need.

I like to slow-cook chicken breasts with salsa and taco seasoning. Six hours on high and they will shred with the touch of a fork. It makes great tacos.

In the winter I like chicken with forty cloves; my version includes chicken pieces (bone-in, skin-on), forty cloves of garlic, baby carrots, and thyme. It’s a wonderful melding of flavors.

I make something like this- chicken enchilada casserole in the slow cooker. It’s good.

I’ve posted it before, but I generally make a pot roast of a whole chicken. My husband doesn’t care much for chicken, except for fried chicken, but he will eat this, and then he’ll eat it again the next day.

1 chicken, whole, innards removed
3 large carrots, or equivalent in baby cut carrots
2 stalks celery
1 or 2 onions
3 or 4 potatoes
As many garlic cloves as you like
Chicken broth (boxed low sodium is best)
White wine, if desired
Parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme

Remove and save the excess fat around the vent and neck openings. Remove and discard the feathers and feather remnants that the factory missed. Working from the vent opening, loosen skin over breast. Dice fat with some of the herbs, and put it between the skin and the meat. This makes the chicken self basting, the breast gets a little extra protection (which it needs) and a little moistening (which it also needs).

Peel and cut up the veggies. I generally cut them to be no bigger than two inches. I just slice the potatoes in half inch wide slices. In a big stock pot (big enough to contain the chicken and vegetables), put the potato slices in the bottom. Stuff the chicken’s cavities with onion, celery, and carrots, and garlic if you are using it. You’ll have some left over, but that’s OK. Put the chicken on the potatoes, dump the rest of the vegetables into the pot, and add a couple of cups of broth. Add a cup of wine if you’re so inclined. Sprinkle more herbs on and around chicken. I think that this dish is salty enough, especially if you use cube or powder bullion, so make it without salt at first. Also, I don’t eat black pepper, but most people will probably want some. You can do whatever you like to the giblets, my husband generally wants the liver fried, and for me to stick everything else in the pot. I don’t like giblets, except to make stock from.

Cover and stick the whole thing into a low oven, anywhere from 275 to 325. I plan to let it cook for about four hours. Many times, the chicken will fall right off the bone, and that’s OK with us, we don’t consider it overcooked. The potatoes will become wonderfully flavorful with the broth and the other vegetables.

If you have a fat separator, use it on the liquid. You can make gravy, if you like, but we also like to just use the broth on the food.

After the first meal, I pull the meat off the carcass. I put the skin and bones back into the pot, and at least some of the broth, and make delicious stock. This freezes well and it’s very comforting to have some stock in the freezer, in single servings, because I’ve reached the point where I just don’t like canned soup very much any more.

Try this:

Put a dressed whole chicken on its back in a pot, on top of a 1-inch layer of salt. The pot must be the right size, enough to “cramp” the whole chicken without pressing it on a side. The thicker the metal, the better. And it must have a tight fit lid. Cover and put it on very low heat for 2 hours.

Further advise, too much oil and moisture oozing from the chicken might dissolve the salt and cause the back of the chicken to sink to the bottom of the pot. Avoid this by criss-crossing skewers or chopsticks inside the salt so that the chicken stays 1 inch above the bottom. In time the moisture will dry out and the salt will fuze into a solid block, with the chicken floating on top, not embedded.

When done, the chicken will appear pale and raw but it’s cooked throughout, juicy and tender. And no, it will not taste salty.

I would advise using thigh meat. Chicken breast takes on a dry stringy texture with such long cooking, unless you add it later in the process. A lot of people don’t seem to mind it because of the sauce, but thigh meat gives you much, much better results and is a cut more suited to that type of cooking.

This sounds good. I wonder if it would work in a crock pot.

Not slow-cooked but it’s simple, fast and delicious:

[ol]
[li]Dice boneless chicken parts of your choosing (I prefer thighs) and brown in a pan.[/li]
[li]Mix the cooked diced chicken with a couple of cans of condensed cream of chicken soup (you can use any “cream of _____” soup you want, I use chicken).[/li]
[li]Chop and mix in any vegetables you want. I use onion, celery and carrot.[/li]
[li]Pour mixture into casserole.[/li]
[li]Add a layer of shredded cheese if you like (I do).[/li]
[li]Top with unrolled Pillsbury crescent rolls and sprinkle liberally with slivered almonds.[/li]
[li]Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.[/li][/ol]

I made this last night and it was delicious! I used onion instead of leeks.

Definitely thigh meat.

I don’t have a recipe per se – I cook 4-6 thighs in a can of chicken broth for 5 or 6 hours; when the meat is ready to start falling off the bone, I take it out, remove the bones and skin, and shred the chicken, and also start a pot of brown rice. Return the shredded chicken to the broth, add other ingredients (some combination of what I’ve got in the pantry and what I’m in the mood for – a box of frozen spinach or peas or green beans, a can of drained and rinsed black beans or garbanzos or corn, raisins or dried cranberries or dried apricots, mushrooms, chopped apple) and seasonings (herbs or curry powder or chili powder, depending on other ingredients) and heat that all through while the rice cooks.

I decided to try that recipe I posted one more time, but slightly changed:

box of white rice in a casserole dish

3 chicken breasts set on top

1 can cream of mushroom (vs celery) soup and 2 cans water mixed well, then added

2 yellow onions sliced as rounds and added on top

a few pinches of kosher salt

a lot of fresh black pepper

some poultry rub sprinkled on

Now it’s in a 325 oven for 2 hours (there is a lot of liquid).

I’m hoping that leaving the french onion mix out will make it less salty and overpowering.

I made this the other night after my co-workers deposited bunches of garlic in my office (whole other story).

Place in Roemertopf:

Two heads of garlic cloves peeled
Chicken (I agree, thigh is best but I used breast and it was tender)
Good sprinkle tarragon
Pepper and chicken stock powder to taste
Brandy to taste (I must have used about 3/4 cup to turn my chook from drunken to shit-faced)
Some water to just cover the chicken

Bake in moderate oven for 1 hour. Strain off the juice and thicken with flour and add cream before returning the chicken/garlic to it.

Brandy, cream, garlic. What’s not to love?

Yes, it will. There’s an incredible amount of sodium in that mix. Let me point out that minced dried onions don’t have any salt in them. If you want to increase the savory flavor, try putting in some Better Than Bullion (brand) chicken flavor base.

Thanks. Leaving the onion mix out made a very good improvement.

I ended up adding a sleeve of crumbled Ritz crackers to the top at the very end, then kept it under the broiler for a few minutes.

All in all, it came out well.