Slow news: Ugandan newspaper starts outing locals

Admit it - you just posted that so you could write “boy fucker”.

That’s okay, I’m a boy fucker, so the balance of occult power is maintained.

but…[

](Uganda's Rolling Stone paper told to stop outing gays - BBC News)

What an honorable defense of free speech.

A Ugandan high court judge forbids all media from ‘outing’ people in the future and awards $650 to three outed gay rights leaders; also the newspaper must pay all associated legal costs from this lawsuit.[

](Uganda bars media from outing gays - BBC News)This all comes from the country that debated a bill calling for the death penalty for homosexual acts. Colour me surprised…

Did that pass or not? I never heard a resolution.

Huh, who knew the Ugandan judiciary would have more sense than the United States government?

Generally, such bigotry campaigns are whipped up by the rulers of a country to excite & enrage the populace, and thereby distract them from other things the government is doing (usually corruption & embezzlement on a grand scale).

A bigger version of the stage magician ostentatiously waving his magic wand in one hand, to distract the audience from what the other hand is doing.

Uganda is just behind the times. A few weeks back I saw a program about Fran Liebowitz, and one of her stories was about the police raiding gay bays in NYC in the 60s and 70s. The next day, the names of everyone arrested would be printed in the NY Times, and everybody mentioned, from surgeons to janitors, would be fired from their jobs. There was no pretense they were being fired for some other reason – gays were outed and fired as a matter of routine and no one (but the gays) thought anything of it.

Fair play to Judge Vincent Musoke-Kibuuke. I assume this was something of an unpopular ruling.