"Small Font" Font issues with Windows 10 & 11 in Paint or Word

So my Win 11 PC has Small Fonts Regular loaded in the Fonts Folder. But neither Word nor Paint can access this Font. For 20+ years this was invaluable in Paint in making maps as a readable very tiny font. Size 6 was legible and even size 5 mostly work.

Not sure if I am conveying my problem clearly, hopefully I am.
For tiny fonts, I’ve been using OCR A Extended instead, but “Small Fonts” just worked way better.

Did this font work in Windows 10?

Does the font preview correctly in the built-in Fonts control tool?

It previews correctly, it use to work in Windows 10 but stopped after the paint update I believe.

I suspect the font in question is a bitmap font. The one that came with Windows is definitely old enough, as I believe it came with Windows 95 if not 3.1.

Unfortunately, Microsoft has deprecated those for quite a long time. DirectWrite, the GPU accelerated font engine, doesn’t support them at all.

I think your options would be to either try and find a way to run the older version of Paint, use some other software like Paint.NET 3.5, or find an equivalent font that is TrueType or some sort of web font (e.g. WOFF).

I can’t speak for how good it is or how it compares to the original, but I did find this TrueType font when trying to confirm the font you are talking about is a bitmap font:

Cool, I’ll try that when I’m back on my PC.

Thank you, that font works pretty well, better than OCR A Extended for fonts smaller than 8.

Searching around, this is an excellent font for size 6 and works in Paint: