Small gift suggestions for young male teen having tonsils out.

That’s about it. I have a friend who is going to have to be out of town for his son’s tonsillectomy. It’s an out of town opportunity for work that truly seems like it cannot be passed up at this time. The work was committed to before the dates of the assignment and surgery were set. The two events now overlap and the family is stressed about daddy being away.

We were thinking of little things this father can do and before he goes away to leave behind and remind his son of his love and that is is thinking of him and concerned for how he is feeling.

While the obvious video games, new/used movies and such are gift good ideas for recuperating, they are cost prohibitive at this time. The boy is non much of a reader, plays the flute, plays roller hockey and swims, he likes rock music, but even this is kind of difficult as his mother rarely approves.

So far we’ve got leaving an encouraging note or two for before and after, leaving favorite flavors of ice cream and popsicles, and permission to wear a fav shirt of dads to the hospital if he chooses.

So, Dopers who’ve been through this yourselves, or with a child, what are your ideas for thoughtful yet helpful things a 13 year old boy would appreciate when undergoing a tonsillectomy and in the few uncomfortable days afterword?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

How about a few of the latest issues of magazines related to his interests?

Interests? I’m pretty sure that a 13 year old boy only has one interest! :wink:

Interestingly enough, I was going to suggest this before I even opened this thread. Yeah, magazines are definitely a good idea - I had my tonsils out when I was 9, and was bored to tears even before I got out of the hospital. About the only thing to do is watch t.v. and read books or play board games.

Although the kid might not be much of a reader, there should be plenty of magazines out there with lots of pictures and short articles - everything from cars, bikes, airplanes, to hunting, fishing, playing guitar, whatever floats his boat.

When I had my tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy it was difficult to talk for a few days, and even ice cream hurt going down, so he may not actually get to enjoy any goodies you bring.

Also, you might try making up a story about his operation for him, or making your own picture books for him to read. One of my cousins sent me a card with pictures he drew of me in the hospital and on the operating table - I still have it to this day, kinda neat ::grin::

Another idea is to make up some flash cards with words/phrases he may need over the next few days. As I said before, speaking was difficult and my throat was extremely scratchy, so when I could speak without pain it was hard for me to be understood.

Magazines or books are good, but if the mom is a big censorship freak, that might be difficult as well. I had my tonsils out at 15 and it hurt like a muthafuckah. Ice cream hurt. WATER hurt! Maybe dad should write him a letter. It’s more personal. And maybe give him a gift certificate or movie tickets for when he’s feeling better.

When i had my tonsils out i ate a lot of ice cream and popsicles.

Oh ya, video games… get lots of video games.

These are all good ideas. Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Lego. Maybe he’s a bit old for that, but when I got my tonsils out Lego kits were the only things that kept me sane…

Whenever one of my friends are in the hospital (rarely, thank God), usually we try to bring all the old photographs of us we can find for them to look at and reminisce. Maybe his parents have photo albums of family trips and get togethers?

Baskin-Robbins gift certificate?

Colored pencils and good paper.

Get him a cute nurse to take care of him. Trust me, he will look back on it with grattitude.