Smartphone App Hall of Fame

Smartphones have been ubiquitous for a few years now. If you’re like me, you may have downloaded just about every free app available when you first got your phone. But over time, you began noticing that you don’t ever or barely use 90% of them. I think it’s time to begin creating an App Hall of Fame. Nominations should include free and pay apps that have withstood the test of time and provide something that is novel and generally adds value to your life (however you define that). I don’t intend on being an arbiter of any sort, so feel free to use your own criteria.

Since people may use your nominee(s), please specify if it is a free or pay app.

I’ll begin by nominating Shazam. It is now free and extremely powerful in telling you what song you’re hearing very quickly.

I will have others, but want to get some others from the rest of you to add to the list.

There are numerous weather apps, but the design and functions of Yahoo Weather work just fine for me.

Some kind of flashlight app needs to be on there

Angry Birds as I believe it was the first of the free games that REALLY took off. Not necessarily the best, but deserving for being the first

Why? The flashlight is a part of most underlying operating systems and is included on the control panel…no need for a separate app.

I’ve never had a flashlight app that came with my phone, at least not an Android one

My mostly-boring nominations.

Tapatalk. What, no one reading this post from your smartphone? :stuck_out_tongue:

My email app.

My fitness app. Tracks how much I walk every day and stuff. There are many of these out there.

WhatsApp. This was my primary motivation for switching to a smart phone, and it has made a helluva difference in when, where, and with who I communicate. Can’t recommend it enough.

My notemaking app. Another great organising tool. Shopping lists, work ToDos, my expenses, IOUs, lame ideas for new SDMB threads, it’s got all.

Not on most Android versions, only the most recent ones.

I nominate Feedly for reading RSS feeds

I would add a whole class of apps that make recommendations based on your location. From GasBuddy to Flixter, Yelp and countless others. The idea of using a GPS to find your location and then connecting with a database of information about things near that location, is what really makes a smart phone powerful IMHO.

Also, many flashlight apps allow you to control brightness, which can be convenient. The iPhone is either ON (full brightness) or OFF.

I would second Angry Birds. That put phone games on the map.

My nomination is Aldiko, a free eBook reader I’ve been regularly using since 2008/9. Now it’s the only way I read books, rather than thus online articles/websites etc. I haven’t been bored waiting in a queue, waiting for an appointment or on a long journey for 6/7 years.

WeatherBug Elite is their paid version and great, I use it with the widget on my home screen constantly. The radar map is better in the app than it is on the PC webpage.

I use Keep (free) every day for lists, notes, and pics of lists and notes and key stuff from work and my driver’s license and whatever else. It’s nice because it’s automatically backed up and switches to the next phone without me having to remember.

Also the Yahoo and Gmail apps over the phone’s email manager. They’re free and have more functionality, the Yahoo one also has a decent news feed.

Are Twitter, Instagram and Facebook too ubiquitous to mention? Sometimes I get the most local breaking news from Twitter before anywhere else. Plus CTA transit updates when there are bus and train reroutes or delays, I know to avoid a route or switch.

The Firefox web browser is nice, and I can sync it with my home browser so it’s backed up. Plus it has add-ons including adblocker, which is helpful on an Android.

This is not a single app, but a category…panic alarms. I work at an all-girls high school, and recommend to all of my students that they download a panic alarm onto their phones. Sometimes making a lot of noise and flashing lights is exactly what you need.

I didn’t make the thread, but IMHO I would say these don’t count because they were entities outside of being an app first…and then became an app second.

Otherwise you could have a whole host of apps that are invaluable: Maps/GPS apps, Airline ticket-on-your-phone apps, ESPN Game Tracker, DIRECTV stuff, etc. If you accept those than you’re just inducting Facebook into the Hall of Fame

I think it’s more in the spirit of the thread to induct things that are ONLY apps.

One of my most-used apps is Scout. It’s a locator/navigation/meetup app that works very well, especially for finding nearby businesses on the fly. Enter a category or a specific name, and it lists nearby matches, then provides a map and voice navigation cues to the one you select. I haven’t used the meetup feature, but it allows you to schedule a rendezvous with other users, and it will guide you to them at the appointed time.

If not this specific app, then some app of this type should probably be in the running. (GasBuddy is a similar, but obviously more specific, tool in the same category.)

A flashlight has been part of Cyanogenmod since I started using it in 2010. Not disagreeing with you, just reminding everyone how crippled their carrier approved OS is.

Do you know I can currently revoke or modify permissions for any app on a permission by permission basis? Maps needs permission to access my location? Great! Maps needs to access my contacts? Hell no! This should be on every phone and Google even introduced it to Android years ago, but carriers fought it tooth and nail and Google removed that feature for good. This is one of many reasons why free and open source software is important.

Maybe we should start a thread like this only for apps that require root? Like Ad Away? Root Browser? Cerberus?

I find Waze to be pretty invaluable, in that it’ll find me the best route from point A to point B, considering the traffic, AND reroute me on the fly if there’s some major obstruction. Plus people can report speed traps, construction, etc…

Of course, it’s not perfect; I find that it’s worthwhile to force it to periodically recalculate its routes, so that I’m always taking the fastest route to my destination(math problem- is recalculating at every intersection possibly equivalent to Dijkstra’s Algorithm?)