Smoking tea?

A girl I once knew swore you could get high from smoking plain ole Lipton tea. Aside from that lyric in “Mama Kin” I had never heard of this before. Anybody ever tried it?

I guess you could get a pretty good caffine high that way. I don’t know if smoking it is any better a delivery system than drinking it, though.

That’s what I thought, too.

But if it IS possible, what chemicals in the tea give you the buzz?

According to Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary, copyright 1973, tea is slang for marijuana.

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

The Kat House
Join the FSH Muscular Dystrophy Webring

My brother got caught smoking tea – plain old orange pekoe. My mother busted in on him when she smelled it, because it smelt like chiba to her. She hollered her head off and he said, “No, mom, it’s just tea, I swear.”

And apparently, the kid there smoking it with him was named Tepley. From then on he was known as Tepley Tea.

Well, some crazy Australians tried it, but without any ill effects (or at least none reported.)
Regimental History of The Royal New South Wales Lancers
1885-1985

Click on Chapter 10 in the left-hand frame.

You can get a slight buzz from smoking anything. Smoke contains carbon monoxide, which is recognized as oxygen by the lungs. This leads to an oxygen deficency in your blood, and makes a person feel lightheaded and a little silly. However, according to some of the more adventurous (stupid) boys I knew in high school, the buzz only lasts a few minutes (at most) and is followed by a blinding headache that is not worth the trouble. Oxygen deprivation and the placebo affect combined are responsible for dozens of variations on the “Smoking such-n-such packs a buzz” urban legends.

Try smoking some peppermint. Let me know what you think that it smells like.