Smoothie recipes please!

Got myself a Kenwood food processor and 2 fruit mad little girls. Please let me know your favourite recipes for smoothies.

I have tried only 1 so far

1/2 cup cranberry juice
1/2 cup of vanilla fat free yoghurt
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 vup frozen cranberries

It came out well

My favorite (measures are approximate)

1 c soy milk
(formerly I added 1 serving Greek yogurt - I can’t do that anymore but it was good)
2 big handfuls of raw spinach
frozen fruit - I often use strawberries and peaches.
It’s fruity tasting without being overly sweet, and if your girls don’t do a lot of veggies, it gets more into them.

Recipe? Why? Put whatever fruit is squishy, delicious, in season and cheap, add liquids or dairy or ice or ice cream or sorbet, whizz, check for flavour balance and add lemon/lime or sugar syrup/honey to adjust.

I have a smoothie every morning. I have no idea what the proportions are because I do it by eye.

Orange juice (fresh squeezed from one of my trees in season)
Banana
Nonfat Greek yogurt
Raspberries or strawberries or blackberries
Dash of vanilla
Flax seed meal (for fiber, doesn’t chance the taste)
Flavored yogurt has a ton of added sugar. You’re better off using plain yogurt and adding a little vanilla extract.

Some fruit, any kind
Some greek yogurt, plain
Some ice
some low-carb vanilla protein powder.

People use recipes?

apple juice
ice cubes
frozen banana
frozen pineapple
cream of coconut (I use Coco Real from the squeeze bottle)
vanilla yogurt

yum!

Thanks guys

My smoothies always consist of plain kefir, frozen fruit, and sugar.

My “Healthy” Green Smoothie
1/2 Avocado
1/2 Cucumber
Handful Spinach
Handful Kale
1 cup water
1/2 cup ice cubes
Optional: 1/2 Banana
Optional: 1 scoop vanilla protein powder

My “Usual” Smoothie
1 cup whole milk
1 cup raspberries (any berries will work but raspberries fit my nutritional needs the best)
1-2 scoops chocolate protein powder
1 cup water
Fall Special Smoothie
1 cup whole milk
1 cup canned pumpkin (make sure it’s 100% pumpkin, no syrup or sugar, etc)
Pumpkin Spice to taste
1-2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1 cup water

You can substitute water for milk and milk for water in any of these. I like milk, but can’t fit 320 calories worth of it into my diet, so I go with 1 cup instead of two.

I tend to throw whatever is around into the blender but there are ingredients that are on the list of favorites :slight_smile:

• frozen bananas for taste and texture
  • peanut butter for protein and taste
  • if you’re going to use frozen strawberries cut them up before blending or they tend to leave large chunks
  • blueberries look great and add vitamins etc but always have some other flavour ingredients when you use them, blueberries are blander in smoothies than in any other dish, no idea why
  • citris juices are a great change to milk and yogurt based smoothies

Choco Peanut butter and banana:

Handful of ice cubes
1 container of greek yogurt, vanilla flavored
1 scoop of protein powder (I use whey, but soy is nice)
Fill yogurt container with low fat or fat free milk
1 banana
2 large dollops (about three tablespoons) of peanut butter
1 Tbs. or a large squirt of Hershey’s dark chocolate syrup
a tiny dash of vanilla

Blend.

Recipe?
Well, how about suggestions with convenient but not strict measurements?
I drop these in a blender, in order:
1/2 cup of ice, crushed (this helps make it airy) [cubes tend to be a bit harder on the blender motor]
1 banana (this makes it creamy like a shake)
A couple ounces of yogurt can smooth-out the grittiness from the ice, but isn’t required.
A handful of available fruit
A splash of juice that complements the fruit
[If I’m using peaches, I just drizzle in some of the liquid from the jar – I think it’s water & corn syrup]

I don’t use milk, though I’ve seen many recipes that do.

Put the lid on and turn the machine to its highest speed (or ice-breaker mode), then slowly back it down to its lowest speed letting the whole mixture form a vortex before stepping down a notch. This pulls air into the smoothie and makes it more filling.

–G!

I could change
my life
to better suit
your mood

'cause you’re so smooth!
. --Rob Thomas and Carlos Santana
. Smooth
. Supernatural

What is a good brand of protein powder for a good healthy smoothie? I’ve looked at a few brands but can’t pick one as better than any other - are they all the same, nutritionally?

I don’t know abut the ins and outs of the different kind of proteins, but I use Designer Whey Protein. 18g protein in a scoop, and only 2g sugar (it’s sweetened with stevia, but it isn’t really sweet).

It’s not expensive and it’s widely available and its lactose-free and it tastes ok or at least no worse than expected (I use vanilla).

1 Hawaiian papaya
2 bananas
6 strawberries
about a cup of half and half
Ice
A couple packets of sweet and low
Some sugar free orange flavored Metamucil

I know, the Metamucil thing sounds weird, but it adds fiber, a nice orange flavor and it thickens the smoothie.

This isn’t a smoothie, but hey, close enough.

• fill blender cup with frozen coffee cubes (as strong as you can make it… I use an espresso grind. I make a bunch in advance to save time.)
  • fill the remaining air gaps with milk (whole, 2%, whatever)
  • add sugar and/or chocolate syrup to taste (I generally use a tbsp of sugar and a generous squirt of syrup)
  • add a pinch of xanthan gum powder for thickness

Blend and enjoy. You may or may not stay awake for the next 16 hours.

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is what I use.

Basically when you’re buying protein powder, check the macro nutrients and make sure it’s mostly protein and almost no carbs.

I’ll use the Optimum 100% Whey Gold Standard as an example since that’s what I have handy. It has 24g of protein per scoop, with 1g of fat and 3g of carbs. This just ensures you’re getting mostly protein and it keeps the calories down (since you’ll get carbs from the fruits and fat from the milk anyway).

Outside of that, you just have to make sure you like the flavor and that the powder mixes well. Both of those will vary from brand to brand.

If you REALLY want to nerd out about it, here’s a link to reddit, where a guy looked at various protein powders and compared their advertised protein content with what he was able to measure