Snacky stuff for Thanksgiving Day

What kinds of things do you all munch on while the turkey cooks? We’re going to a friend’s house for dinner on Thursday and I’m in charge of pie and snacks. My family always has the obligatory pickle/olive plate and chips. Do you all have any traditions?

One thing we’ve liked to have in our family in the past is shrimp cocktail. It’s light enough not to fill us up for the main meal.

We variously have deviled eggs, hummus/pita/vegetables, shrimp cocktail and pigs-in-blankets.

The hummus and the shrimp are the lightest choices, I think. We go with those when dinner will be early in the day, and go for the heavier snacks in lieu of lunch when dinner will be at 3 or 4.

Pigs in a blanket; crudite and dip; chips and queso; summer sausage, cheese and crackers; and peanuts. Breakfast will be skimpy, and dinner is at 5:00.

Rosemary roasted cashews. Take about two tablespoons of fresh chopped rosemary, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 Tbls. brown sugar, 2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1 Tbls. melted butter and mix 'em in a large bowl. Add 1 to 1.5 pounds of mostly whole cashews and toss to coat. Spread onto a cookie sheet and put into a 375 oven for about 10 minutes. I’m going to try it this year with some minced candied ginger added after roasting.

We continue my parents’ tradition of always having Pfeffernuesse around for Thanksgiving & Christmas. We’ve also picked up the cheese ball & crackers tradition that one of my sisters started, though we have yet to make our own cheese ball. Our own tradition is my egg nog shakes: vanilla (preferably French vanilla) ice cream, milk, egg substitute, rum extract, and nutmeg.

We still have the usual olive, veggie and cheese trays, but we deep-fry a smaller turkey, and pick at that while the main bird/ham cooks.

My family is a little on the white bread side, and it shows with our traditional holiday snacks. We always have deviled eggs, the relish tray, and sausage balls – this last one is a contribution from my in-laws, and my family heartily approves.

Another thing we always have is that layered taco dip and chips. This dates back to the 1980s, when my cousin learned how to make it in 8th grade Home Ec. I remember the first year, we all stood around peering intently at the exotic taco dip. “It’s Mexican,” my mother said with awe. And she still makes it every year!

We’re cooking a ham the day before for noshing. Other than that (and call me a bad hostess, but I don’t care) NO APPETIZERS! I’m busting my butt to make a big huge meal and you will not spoil it with pre-dinner snacks!

Now, get out of my kitchen!

:smiley: You snack on turkey while you’re waiting for the turkey to cook? What do you snack on while the first turkey’s cooking?

I’m making my grocery list right now. We’re travelling three hours on Wednesday night, so I’m thinking I’ll head over to the local gourmet store and pick up a bunch of pre-made snacky things. And those egg nog shakes sound great. I’m going to have to make that my December favorite dessert this year.

Indeed they are. My SO prefers them to store-bought nog, which she finds too thick and too sugary. She’s diabetic so we get low carb ice cream.

I’m bringing “nuts & bolts” (basically, chex mix).

Oh, and ivylass: We probably eat a meals worth of snacks, then go on to the big meal where seconds if not thirds are expected, then dessert, and turkey sandwiches a few hours later.

I won’t be there in the morning this year , but we usually have a decent (but not huge) breakfast too.

No second breakfast or 11sies though

Brian

Wine. We drink a ton of red wine, Mom and I.

Oh, and gherkins. I call them “fetus pickles” just to piss her off. And olives. And the kids like celery with cream cheese. We do a plate for the table but it rarely makes it there.

Yeah, Chex Mix, shrimp cocktail, and a honey-mustard/cream cheese dip are the standards at my parents’, as well as crudities and cheese and crackers.

A platter of cubed cheddar cheese, slices of pepperoni, and pitted black olives.

Before every holiday meal at my mother’s house, and now at mine.

For as long as I can remember.

It just isn’t a holiday without Chex mix, as far as I’m concerned. I might allow a few of the deviled eggs to be snuck out of the fridge before dinner, also.

I serve more appetizers if I’m having company, but this year, it’s just our family and perhaps one or two close friends.

I’m baking olives inside of cheese balls (they’re goooood!) and I mix wasabi in with light cream cheese and pipe it on crudites. Also, pomegranate “martinis” (quotes duly added for the Martini Purists. Please don’t hit me.) My spousette is making the bird, the stuffing, the mash and the cranberries. I am making 2 pies (apple pear and pumpkin cream cheese.) I feel fat just typing this.

Oh, and for something a little different with those egg nog shakes, try putting in a bit of cocoa powder.