Snare Drum Question

To settle a bet, are there any colleges that use matched grip for snares as opposed to traditional?

Mine did, but that was 20+ years ago.

James Madison appears to: http://www.jmu.edu/music/mrd/photos2002.html

It’s hard to see, but in the first snare line photo, they definitely are holding the sticks matched grip (though their hands are up). The second photos, looking at the closest drummer, appears to continue with matched grip while playing (so it wasn’t just a visual). Unfortunately, the extra drum and cymbal rig is blocking most of the hands.

I’m sure there are many, many, many more.

Unless you sling your drum, there’s really not any reason to use traditional grip any more. I still play snare with traditional grip, simply because my high school used slings, so that’s how I played when I was on the snare line. I can switch to matched and play just fine (and my rolls are actually a smidge cleaner), but it feels less comfortable to me.

My wife, who is a band director…hates traditional grip when the bands are using carriers, even though her own band does it. (She is not the percussion instructor). She hates that it’s not balanced as it makes each stick produce a very slight difference in sound (even if just slightly) in all but the very best players…simply as a function of the grip.

Oh…just to confirm…found the JMU Snare Line Technique Packet, and they definitely use matched grip.