Snatch and grab

From time to time I hear of ‘snatch and grab’ robberies. I’ve always known that it means that the robber takes something suddenly and runs away quickly. But thinking of the phrase now, it sounds redundant. ‘Snatch and run’ makes more sense, and at least it has a Wiktionary entry.

What is the origin of ‘snatch and grab’? Is there a subtle difference in the terms? For example, maybe ‘snatch’ means to ‘quickly take’ and ‘grab’ means to ‘take control’, and running away is given? Sort of like in American football where a receiver may catch the ball, but needs to ‘control’ it as well.

The correct phrase is smash and grab.

I’ve always heard “smash and grab”, and it refers to things like breaking the display window, grabbing the necklace, and running away, not just suddenly grabbing something in a store and running for the door.

Aha! I’ve also heard that phrase, and I can see how easily it can be corrupted.

That sounds more right. I remember originally hearing about it in reference to people smashing passenger side car windows in gridlocked traffic (at a red light, for example), grabbing purses and running.

Corrupted indeed. When I’m in San Diego, I usually make a point to visit Grab & Go Subs, and they always seem a little upset that I don’t pay for my sandwich.

They really need to change it to, “Grab, Pay & Then Go Subs.”

The same thing would probably happen if Circle-K became Circle-A.

[Tangential] One of my favourite movie credits out there is at the end of The Wall. There is a credit for the “Smash and Grab Ladies.” I have no idea why they warranted a particular credit, but I love seeing them.

That would be “snack and grub”.

Heh, I was warned about that back in the 70s when I first started driving. When I bother to carry a purse I lock the lap belt through the strap and set it on the floor. Most of the time I carry a cell phone/cigarette pack holder instead of a purse and toss it in the glove box.

That seems pretty impressive if people were pulling it off. Isn’t automobile glass pretty hard to smash though? Crack, yes, but I thought that between it being extra rigid, and treated to hold together even if broken, smashing a hole in it quickly enough to make a hasty exit would be a difficult prospect.

Whether the tire iron hits the glass or the glass hits the tire iron, it’s going to be bad for the glass.:stuck_out_tongue:

Windshields are laminated to keep them all in one piece, the side windows will fall out in a million peices.

Most side windows yes, but there are some side windows out there that are made of anti-smash glass. Usually found on higher end cars often as an option, these windows have a plastic sheet in them just like the windshield.

Well, they did that in Seattle once, aka Smash ‘N’ Shout 1999.

In comic books and such a “smash and grab” raid involved a thief (usually dress in stripey top and mask :slight_smile: ) smashing a shop window with a brick and making off with whatever valuables he could take.