Snooze Time

I’ve noticed that the amount of snooze time I get from my alarm depends upon how long I take to get to the snooze bar. I think the nine minutes is simply the rounding (our digital clocks don’t display seconds) to the nearest minute. So, I think the snooze starts at 10 minutes when the alarm sounds. If you hit the snooze within the first minute (most of us do) then you get the remaining time rounded to the nearest minute (9).

Cecil implies, but never directly confirms, that the 9-minute snooze is an industry standard. While the reason for 9 minutes may be beyond our ken, do we have any evidence of the existence of a standard? Are there any exceptions?

I have a GE clock-radio alarm, and the snooze is 7 minutes. I laways thought that was strange, being used to 9 from previous ones, but I had no idead HOW strange…

I direct your attention here.
http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000342.html

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

My snooze button is for 7 minutes; it’s an LCD Sony. Possibly different companies use different time lengths, based on their nationality?

(8) On a digital clock, nine is the greatest interval obtainable by advancing some sort of “snooze counter” on the ones column. But why mess with the ones column? Why not put the snooze counter on the tens column and advance that by one?

Because you then have a random snooze period of 1-10 minutes depending on the last digit your original alarm time. Given that, (8) seems highly plausible.

Very good point, Neil. I second that.

Good idea

Being a Ham Radio Operator I notice many subtle references to my hobby in movies and products others do not notice. There are many engineers and technicians who are Hams that design electronics. Regulations require Radio Amateurs to sign with their callsign every 10 minutes. For many years the snooze funtion was used as a reminder by some. Next time you hear the beeping of the key-in-ignition reminder on a Honda the four fast beeps are “H” in Morse code. The Civic HF was the super economy car of Honda in the mid '80s. HF means High Frequency. DX means distance. One in seven people in Japan are licensed Amateur radio operators. Here in the US one in three hundred fifty. No wonder the electronics industry went to Japan…

Steve NV7V Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator

Nine minutes was deliberately chosen as the Digital Clock Snooze Standard (DCSS) out of tidiness and lack of operating space. Blame for this can be laid at the knobby little bare feet of the DCGWU (Digital Clock Gnome Workers Union). The little gnomes inside the clock did not want to have to extra numbers cluttering up their already cramped quarters. So what better way to save space than to just re-use the number six? Due to the extra-ordinary lobbying powers of the DCGWU, they convinced the IEEE to adopt Protocol Number F6E9 (Flipped Six Equals Nine). The consequences of Protocol F6E9 have been far-reaching, indeed. Go gnome go…

Next week’s topic: The real origins of the GNU OS and the secret Gnu-Gnomes of Gnu Guinea

Actually, I always figured there was a fairly sound reason for the delay thing.

Here’s the thing. (As is standard protocol, there IS a thing.) When I go to hotels, I always set my room clock about five minutes ahead. This way, if my meeting is at 8:30, and I arrive at MY 8:30, I’m really there 5 minutes early! By the same token, if I’m 5 minutes late ‘Hotel Room Time’, I’m actually on time.

Now, the brilliant segue…

Generally, the average alarm clock buyer --or at least, the UNINFORMED buyer who doesn’t tap into the mega-wisdome that IS Cecil Adams-- assumes (and rightly so) that the snooze delay is an even 10 minutes. Ergo (I LOVE that word), the nine-minute thing gives you a one-minute ‘grace period’ of sorts. Now, unless you actually live in the conference room of your current place of employment, I’m not sure what kind of difference a minute is going to make, but then again, everyone who’s ever been killed by a disaster that took 59.9 seconds to occur would probably beg to differ.

Again, just a (half-assed) theory…

UFO_Charlie

“I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something
about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is
purely destructive. We’ve created life in our own image.”

-Stephen Hawking