so, do you know what holiday today is?

Today (10 December) is Human Rights Day, chosen because it marks the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights by the U.N. General Assembly, Resolution 217 A (III), on 10 December 1948, in San Francisco.

To commemorate this day, I invite anyone to post their favourite article from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. (click on the link to see the articles of the UDHR.)

Here’s my choice (picked because I’m posting from work :frowning: )

<FONT COLOR=“800000”>Article 24 </FONT>
Everyone has the right to rest and leisure, including reasonable limitation of working hours and periodic holidays with pay.

Quand les talons claquent, l’esprit se vide.
Maréchal Lyautey

I like to think we still value honour, even in these Jerry Springer days.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things
left by those who got there first.

sorry - I thought I copied only article 12!

here i thought it was Arnold Winklereid Day!

talk about serendipity…last week I talked about Amnesty International in my English class, and each of my students chose an Appeal and wrote a letter about it. We mailed the letters to the various heads of state today! And I hadn’t even realized that today was the Declaration’s anniversary.

I think I just love the Declaration as a whole…and I think it’s absolutely shameful that the US, one of the countries responsible for the writing of the Declaration, has yet to ratify it. But then, our country has never been quick to legalize things like that. Jefferson wanted to abolish slavery in the Constitution, but it took about a hundred years to actually get in there, and a hundred more for civil rights to come up. And don’t even get me started on rights for women.

This concludes this rant of the Kara’s Broadcast System. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Lyxdesics of the lowrd untie!

Oh, great, now I’ve got to go out an buy a Universal Declaration of Human Rights Day tree, and mail out my Universal Declaration of Rights Day cards. Like the holidays aren’t stressful enough already.

Does anyone know any good Universal Declaration of Rights Day carols?

Is this the treaty that the Congress still hasn’t ratified? God, if it is, I’m embarrassed to live here.

SanibelMan - My Homepage
“Step away from the bell curve, sir.”

Now you know why I moved off the continent…

This begs the question: What commercial interests does the Universal Declaration of Human Rights threaten? Or is it just politics? Anyone got the answer to that one?

Only humans commit inhuman acts.

You want to talk about rights?

Now these people were very grateful to enjoy all the rights guaranteed and accorded to them.

Kara, congratulations. You’re a credit to your profession. As a longtime Amnesty International member, I’m happy to see that people take the trouble to write letters concerning prisoner cases.

I think the treat(ies) you were referring to, that hasn’t been ratified yet, would be:
Convention to Eliminate All Forms of Discrimination Against Women
Convention Against Torture
Convention on the Rights of the Child

Momotaro:
The reason some international human rights treaties haven’t been ratified by the USA is due in part to the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Jesse Helms. He thinks that the UN shouldn’t be telling the USA what to do.

Mjollnir, I’m not sure what point you were trying to make when you included a link to the soviet constitution.

You mean we actually do have a right to party? I thought the Beastie Boys just made that up.

No, actually, as I recall, you don’t have a RIGHT to party.

You gotta FIGHT, for your RIGHT, to party.

I agree with Jesse Helms on that matter.

I provided a link to the Soviet Constitution to show how the pointlessness of a paper “guaranteeing” rights.

Even our (US’s) own Constitution is pretty much meaningless, except for what the Supreme Court says it says.