So ... how do I beat a memory leak on my computer?

Taskbar Diplay Controls
ScanRegistry
TaskMonitor
SystemTray
LoadPowerProfile
Multi-function Keyboard
Norton Auto-Protect
LWBMOUSE
LoadPowerProfile
ScedulingAgent
WinZip Quick Pick

That’s it

I just noticed for the first time that Load Power Profile is in there twice. I assume I can get rid of one of those.

Take ALL programs out of your startup. That’s right, ALL.

Disconnect your Internet connection, if of the always-on type; that way you don’t need Norton.

If your mouse has problems, put back LWBMOUSE, but I think that is more of an options tweaker than a driver.

No, contrary to popular opinion, you don’t need systray.

Save, reboot, and run your computer for a while. If it happens again, it’s most likely hardware or heat-related.

Memory leaks, while a serious problem, shouldn’t be a factor if the unit is just sitting there. Opening & closing programs can cause a buildup of memory holes, but you’re not doing that in a simple test.

I’m going to have to hedge my previous advice, “If it happens again, it’s most likely heat or hardware-related.” I am assuming you have run a full virus-scan, adaware, and spybot, removed anything found, and rebooted. AND you have the latest pattern files for all of those. The baddies those programs detect can easily produce the same symptoms as you describe.

“I just noticed for the first time that Load Power Profile is in there twice. I assume I can get rid of one of those.”

No, you should not. It needs both of them.

Not in my experience. It needs NONE of them. Try it and see.

Hey, Handy, wanna step outside? :stuck_out_tongue:

ScanRegistry - system harmless leave it

TaskMonitor - system harmless leave it

SystemTray - not really necessary but harmless leave it

LoadPowerProfile - system harmless leave it

Multi-function Keyboard - unlikely problem source but try defeating

Norton Auto-Protect - resource hog but unlikey to bring system down - required for active AV protection - defeat to see if source of problem

LWBMOUSE ? - Standard Logitech mouse driver unlikely source of problem unless it’s an “itouch” mouse which uses 3rd party “touch” drivers. Update to latest version via Logitech web site

LoadPowerProfile - system harmless leave it

ScedulingAgent - unecessary unless you are actually scheduling system maintenance operations like defrag etc - defeat

WinZip Quick Pick - low resource use but if *.zip extensions are properly associated it’s kind of unecessary to have it in memory - defeat

Astro beat me to it. Absolutely agree.

Just out of curosity, do you run AOL? I’ve found that to be a tremendous hog for system resources on my sister’s computer, causing me to swear off ever installing it on mine.

No, Netbrian – no recent AOL use.

However, I did run it for about two years up until I got my cable modem this past March. Haven’t run it since. Also, I haven’t deinstalled AOL, either. Hard for me to think it would cause problems even while not being used.

Actually, when I was using AOL for my dial-up Internet access, my machine ran great and there were no mouse cursor freezes.