So How Many States/Countries Have YOU Visited?

Well, I flew airplanes for the US Air Force for 11 years and now I fly for an airline so I’ve been a lot of places. To count as “being there” for me it’s actually setting a foot down on the ground.

US States: All 50.

Countries: Most recent count gives me 90. Every continent except Antarctica. To get there I’ll have to pay for myself, I guess!:wink:

Heavyest concentration is in South/Central America (every country south of the US except French Guiana), Europe and Africa. Less time in Asia, but still about 13 countries.

I also lived in Panama for two of those years with AF. I enjoyed the traveling immensely.

What I learned is that people are amazing. They can and do adapt to ANY situation. If a guy walking through muddy streets in Abidjan, Ivory Coast can have a smile on his face then I can too.

:slight_smile:

Me-three for Romania. Saw the 1999 solar eclipse.

Netherlands (just Schipol->Amsterdam), Ireland.

Lived in Australia (Melbourne) for six months in 1990.

Mom born in Ireland means I’ll be getting my EU Passport. :slight_smile:

Great OP question. I have a 50X50 (fifty states by fifty years old) goal. I have now been to 48 states. I have a little over 7 years to get to Alaska and Hawaii to make my goal. Not only have I been to 48 states, I’ve seen much of all there is to see in those states.
Almost half of those states were visited as a kid (my family traveled alot).
Some of my favorite states includes South Dakota, Louisiana, and Florida.
No offense to the people living there, but North Dullkota Bored the living shit out of me. Again, no offense intended.

I’ve been to 4 provences in Canada several times, and Mexico twice. Jamaica, Bahamas, Dominican Republic once each. My wife has been to England and France, but only because she lived in Italy as a kid.

After I get Alaska and Hawaii out of the way (probably in the next 3 years) I want to see Europe. The first 48 states were easy. The last 2 are going to cost some bucks!

I’ve been to all the U.S. states except Alaska, Hawaii, Maine and Florida.

In Canada, I’ve been around Ontario and Quebec, and the Vancouver area in BC.

Europe: I lived in England for two years and I go back to the UK for visits every 2-3 years. I’ve been on touristy trips to Ireland, France, Belgium, Germany (there were still an East and West when I was there), Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Greece, Spain, Czechoslovakia (when it was still called that), and Russia when it was part of the Sovier Union.

Africa: very briefly in Egypt to see the Pyramids.

I’m feeling kind of sad now 'cos I’m not that well-travelled compared to a lot of you. :frowning:

I’ve been to Ireland (where I live), Northern Ireland, England (three times - not including airport stopovers), Wales, France (twice), Spain, Italy (twice), Belgium (twice), Holland (3 times), Hungary, Egypt, USA (twice including Massachussetts for 3.5 months, New York, Illinois and Missouri - passed through Rhode Island). Hoping to go to Greece this year.

As regards world view I guess it depends on what you mean by the term. Everyone has a world-view, some are more conservative/liberal, militant/pacifist, fearful/brave etc. I think travelling helps you broaden your mind but is not a pre-requisite for a broad mind. Some people who simply read a lot and follow world news while maintaining a critical faculty are much more broad-minded than some people who just travel a lot. It’s like the old difference between seeing and looking. If you don’t have the basic intelligence to understand/evaluate what you’re seeing in the first place then you never will have.

That said, generally, the type of person who itches to see as many places as possible is usually a reasonably broad-minded person. However, some people just do it 'cos they have the money and it’s something to boast about - the modern trophy hunters on their trophy holidays.

So I guess the short answer is that I think travelling has a good chance of broadening your mind but it isn’t a given that someone who doesn’t travel much has a really closed mind/narrow world view either.

USA: Vermont and Mass.
Canada: Quebec

Europe: France, Spain, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Luxemburg, England, Scotland, Wales.

Asia: Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia.

The only traveling that has influenced me in away way was Asia. Those trips made me realise how lucky I was to be born in a relatively rich country in non war time to a family that cared.

Cambodia is a real eye opener. Those people really had it hard.

Every state except VT, NH, ME, and AK so I guess that’s 46.

Countries?
USA (duh)
Canada
Mexico
UK
France
Italy
Switzerland
Israel
Jordan
Egypt