So How Many States/Countries Have YOU Visited?

Okay, this is a little like bragging, I guess. I’ve been to a lot of places in the world, which qualifies me for practically nothing. But since I’ve settled down, I’ve noticed that when I talk about things I’ve seen and places I’ve been, a glazed look comes over the faces of the people I now work with and those of my family (Jeez, there he goes again about friggin’ Africa). It seems the lack of exposure to other cultures also coincides with a very limited world view. Is that just me? How do you all feel that travel has influenced your political/cultural outlooks and tolerances for others?

Here’s my list:
States: AK,CT, MA, RI, NY, PA, VA, FLA, LA, IL, MI, MN, WI, ND, SD, MT, WY, NE, UT, AZ, NV, CA, OR, WA, HI, TX, IA, ID (28, but may be others)
Territories/possessions: Puerto Rico, Guam, St. Thomas
Other countries: Canada (Ontario, BC, Yukon, Quebec), Guatemala, Viet Nam, Japan, Egypt, Mali, Uganda, Tanzania, South Africa, Botswana, Spain, France, Germany (east and west), Portugal, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, (former) Czechoslovakia, (former) USSR, Turkey (32, I think) No down-under or South America (yet).

Dang, how could I have forgotten England? Oh, and Greece.

Well, damn.

I’m not yet 18, but here it goes.

States: TX, LA, MN, KY, TN, MO

Other Countries: Canada, Belize

It’s easier to do the US states I haven’t been to: Alsaka, Alabama, Montana, Michigan, Mississippi, and Wisconsin.

Countries (in roughly chronological order): USA, UK, West Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Mexico, the Netherlands, Kenya, Tanzania, El Salvador, Ecuador.

Canadian provinces: Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia

American states: New York, Maine, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, District of Columbia

Other countries: England, France, Holland, Greece

I have visited very very few places, and I honestly think that my worldview is very broad. Like, maybe a little too broad. But I’d like to travel someday when I get older.

I have only visited locations in 21 states (AL, GA, FL, SC, NC, VA, WV, MD, NJ, DE, PA, NY, MA, RI, CT, IL, TN, MS, LA, NV, and CA), DC, and Italy. As you can see, I have a long way to go. (But I’ve visited two states Enginerd hasn’t! Whee!)

90% of the states. UK, Germany, Mexico, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Japan, India, Pakistan. Probably a few others I don’t recall off the top of my head.

Sad, but true: SC, FL, MN

Do you want to hear about states I’ve flown over, or just the ones where my feet were on the ground? If it’s the former, that would include some of the rectangular ones in the middle, but if it’s the latter, I can give you a list.

The entire Eastern Seaboard and Colorado (I don’t like to fly).

Foreign countries?

Canada:

Ontario and Quebec as an adult, and possibly Manitoba when I was a little kid, but I’m not sure. (I’m trying to be specific.)

If we actually did go to Manitoba (CAN) when I was a sprout, I’m sure my Dad let me out of the car to pee in Ohio (USA), or someplace.

How’s that?

I’m just posting this mostly to make Mr. Blue Sky feel a little better. My best friend (who’s 41) had never been out of Wisconsin until I dragged him along on a cruise to Mexico last year.

I’ve been to most of the US except the deep south, Alaska and Hawaii. Bermuda, Belize, Canada (just Toronto and Montreal), and Mexico (but only cruise stops).

States: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wyoming and the District of Columbia. Does DC count?

True story: The last time I was in Boston, I rented a car just so I could add New Hampshire and Maine to the list.

Countries: US, Mexico, Taiwan, Hong Kong and China. (they were different countries at the time)

I’ve spent time in 48 states. Never was in Alaska or Hawaii, to my sorrow. Someday may correct that.

Also been in Canada, Mexico, Iceland, England, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Luxembourg.

Maybe in retirement in 10 years or so, I’ll make it to a few more. If not, I had a good ride.

States: Tennessee, Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania

Other countries: England and France

I don’t know that lack of travel necessarily means a limited world view – speaking personally, I haven’t had much opportunity to see the world, though it’s not for lack of trying. I think a limited world view comes more from someone who is unwilling to be exposed to anything outside of their present experience, whether or not travel is involved.

Despite being a Brit: All the states except Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon, New Mexico, Arkansas and Vermont.

England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Madeira (or is that Portugal? If not, then claim Corsica and Sardinia as separate “countries”), Canada.

lets see: been to every U.S. state except Oregon. Not sure how I missed it.

Foreign: most of the canadian provinces, mexico, germany, netherlands, austria, slovakia, poland, russia, japan and the philippines.

On the other side of things, I have a good friend who has never been more than 10 miles north of where he lives right now.

My husband had never been outside Canada until we got married. Now, our seven year old has been in eight countries. (Canada - about five provinces, United States - at least three states, Romania, China, Germany, Austria, Turkey)

We lived in China two and a half years, Romania two years, Manitoba two years, Mississauga a year.

I’ve been to all of the provinces, but none of the territories. Been to a few of the states, including California and Florida. I’ve also been to Mexico and Hawaii, Hong Kong, and Turkey.

Spent time in: AK, WA, OR, CA, CO, NM, NE, ND, TX, MN, IA, WI, IL, OH, WV, VA, TN, GA, MD, DE, DC, PA, NJ, NY, MA, VT

Driven/Trained through on the way to somewhere else: NV, UT, IN, CT

Changed planes or stopped in: MO, NC, ID, MT

Scheduled to visit this year: Portland, ME (with a train ride thru RI) and Traverse City, MI

Remaining: HI, AZ, WY, OK, KS, SD, AR, LA, MS, AL, FL, SC, KY, RI, NH

Countries: Japan, Mexico, Canada (BC, ON, QU), UK (England only), Spain

AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, PR, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VI, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY (Non-states italicized.)

CANADA (NS, NB, PEI, PQ, ONT, MB, SK, AB, BC) , MEXICO, BARBADOS, TRINIDAD & TOBAGO, NETHERLANDS ANTILLES, GUADELOUPE, MARTINIQUE, VENEZUELA, GRENADA, DENMARK, UNITED KINGDOM (England and Wales), IRELAND, NETHERLANDS, BELGIUM, LUXEMBOURG, FRANCE, GERMANY, LIECHTENSTEIN, AUSTRIA, VATICAN, SWITZERLAND, SPAIN, PORTUGAL, ITALY
(I don’t count SWEDEN and MONACO because I was only in Sweden for an hour or two and only passed through Monaco on the train.)

U.S. states: Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, Virginia, D.C., New York, Michigan (spent at least one night in each). I’ve also seen bits of (i.e., more than a drive-through but not overnight) Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. Might have missed a couple, but they’re all in the Eastern half of the country. Most of that time has been spent in Florida, with a couple of years in NY.

Foreign countries: England, Ireland (Republic and Northern), France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, and Italy. Most of that time has been spent in England (London, to be specific: a year and a half), and Italy (five trips so far, totalling a couple of months).

Virginia, Georgia, Tennesse, Mississippi I have visited

But, I also had to drive though North & South Carolina, but I don’t consider that visiting. The interstate pretty much looks the same no matter what state your in.

My travels haven’t been very extensive, but one day they will :wink: