So How Many States/Countries Have YOU Visited?

Not counting places I’ve only been in the airport or driven through:

States and similar thingies: Alaska, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachussetts, Minnesota (I think – some of the childhood vacation memories are fuzzy), New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington, Virginia, Wisconsin (I’m pretty sure), and DC.

Foreign countries: UK (all four of the major parts), Ireland, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany (briefly), Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary (also briefly), Switzerland (ditto), Italy, Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Fiji, Cook Islands, New Zealand.

Hoping to add Australia, Thailand, and Cambodia next year.

Very good answer and responds to the post. Perhaps it’s just the xenophobic nature of many Alaskans that makes me think it matters.

Canada: Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia (hitchhiking all the way there and back).

USA: New York (only Buffalo and Rochester), Florida, California (changed planes in Atlanta, GA and Phoenix, AZ).

I think JessEnigma’s comments about world view are what I would have said, only he/she said it much more eloquently.

We would certainly like to visit more places and very likely will, but first we have to accrue more a) vacation time, and b) money to do so.

Canada: Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia (hitchhiking all the way there and back).

USA: New York (only Buffalo and Rochester), Florida, California (changed planes in Atlanta, GA and Phoenix, AZ).

I think JessEnigma’s comments about world view are what I would have said, only he/she said it much more eloquently.

We would certainly like to visit more places and very likely will, but first we have to accrue more a) vacation time, and b) money to do so.

States: All except Hawaii. Several times, for most of them.

Canada: All provinces & territories, except NW Territories & Nunavut.

World: UK (incl. Scotland & Wales), Ireland, France, Spain, Gibraltar, Monaco, Italy, Switzerland, Yugoslavia (the Slovenia part), Hungary, Austria, Liechtenstein (made a deliberate detour there to add it to the list, lol), (West) Germany, Belgium, Hong Kong (pre-China), and Japan (only saw the airport, though.)

And Chefguy, as well as everyone else who’s well-traveled, it does qualify you for one thing. Bill Maher used to take people to task for claiming that, “America is the greatest country in the world!” when they’d never set foot outside the borders of Alabama, for instance. Having been around the world a couple times (at least, the “livable” part of it), I can safely say…yes. Yes, it is. (And I don’t have to go to Mali to know that life there would really suck!)

One day at work my coworkers and I we were comparing lists of states that we have had sex in. I was really dissapointed when I was over ruled and it was decided that you had to have a partner for it to count. What really pissed me off was that also kicked me out of the mile high club.

United States I’ve been to:
AK, AR, AZ, CA, CO, FL, HI, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, MO, MS, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, District of Columbia.

Foreign Nations:

Honduras
Bangladesh
Japan
S.Korea
Thailand
Philippines
Singapore
Maylasia
Oman
United Arab Emirates
Saudi Arabia
Kuwait
Iraq
Somalia

supposed to be a “.” and a line space after WV.

I know D.C, is not a state

Been all over the U.S. & to many countries, and find that I have become addicted to travel and need to get my periodic “fix.” I love meeting people from other cultures and laughing and dancing and eating and drinking with them. When I discuss places and experiences, I do not get the same glazed over expression that you get. People seem very interested, and they often have questions of their own, like, “Does one need to know Italian before visiting Italy?”

Yes, I have gained a better understanding of how others view the world. And others have hopefully come out of their boxes, so to speak, through interacting with me & my thoughts.

I haven’t been to the US yet…

But anyway… Hong Kong (where I live), Portugese Macau, China, Thailand, Australia, Greece, Spain (mainland plus the Canary Islands), Egypt, England, India, Singapore, Seychelles and by next week, Malaysia.

Hopefully I can add more to that list before I turn 20 :wink:

So far I’ve been to every US state except North Dakota, Oklahoma, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, the Carolinas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana.

Outside of the country I’ve only been to Mexico, Canada, Great Britain, France, the Netherlands Antilles, Grenada, Dominica, and the Bahamas, but in college I hope to see a lot of the Middle East, Central Asia, and possibly China and India.

Let’s see…

Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, England, Wales, Scotland, Monaco, Spain, Germany, East Germany, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Italy, Vatican, San Marino, Greece, Czech republick, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Yugoslavia, South Africa, Swaziland, China, South Korea, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, Cook islands, Canada, USA, Barbados, Grenada, St Lucia. 41. If we are counting airport stop-overs, add Japan, Venezuela, Fiji and Tahiti as well.

In the USA? Califonia, Texas, Illinois and whatever state Buffalo is in. :slight_smile:

This was done in January on this thread. But we broke it down even more. :wink:

I’m up to 48 states, Alaska and North Dakota are my two missing. As for countries, I’ve only been to Canada (Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, and British Columbia) Mexico (Cancun only) The Netherlands and Tanzania.

My father in law lives in West Virginia, lived in Michigan for a while, he’s only ever been to West Virginia, Michigan and Ohio.

I’m not impressed with my totals. Let’s see. New York, Illinois, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Missouri, Florida, and Michigan, plus Washington, DC. Texas is on the agenda.

Countries: Jamaica; England.

States - CA, MA, CO, TX, AZ, NV, WA, UT (all in one trip - pardon self-promotion :))

Countries - South Africa (birthplace), Lesotho, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Zaire, UK (now living), Canada, Mexico, France, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Luxemburg (flight transfer only).

Not bad I guess

AL, CT, DE, FL, GA, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MS, NC, NJ, NM, NY, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, & WV

Other Countries: England and France

And for those who have never visited Alabama, let me be the first to invite you to come see us. :wink:

Draw a big oval over the east coast of the US. The top extends to Montreal and the bottom extends to Key West. The western edge clips Indianapolis and the eastern fringes of Al. I’ve been almost everywhere in the oval.

I’m poorly traveled. :frowning:

I’ve been to 44 of the 50 states. Never been to North Dakota, South Dakota, Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada or Oregon.

Been to Canada, United Kingdom, France, Spain, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland, and the Netherlands.

Oh yeah, I forgot to answer the second and more interesting part of the question:

Partly agree, partly don’t. I think there are plenty of other ways to expand your world view (especially nowadays, when you can communicate with people all over the world without leaving your house), and on the flip side, some people travel without learning a thing. I’m reminded of a story I read on another board, where a poster said he’d had the following conversation with his co-worker who had just come back from a package trip overseas:

“So where did you go?”
“I don’t know.” Long pause. “It was hot and they talked funny.”

He eventually found out she’d been to the Canary Islands.

All the same, yeah, I think travel both inside and outside of the US has changed my take on things. Going to Alaska earlier this summer was a huge revelation, for instance. (BTW, Chefguy, where are you from?) While I knew in the abstract that various regions of the US had a few cultural differences, I hadn’t realized how different they could be. That, in turn, changed my outlook on a few political issues, particularly gun control; I saw that laws that made sense in the East Coast urban areas where I’d lived my whole life simply wouldn’t make sense in Alaska, and I’m now inclined to think more of these things should be decided at the local level.

I could write a few more pages about what I’ve learned from traveling outside the US, but I’ve rambled on long enough.