So I just started physical therapy sessions

I’ve never had to do this before, but a week ago I lifted something heavy while cleaning :smack: , and have been in pain ever since, especially if I try to lift anything heavier than a can of soup, or if I reach up to try to close a window, adjust the car mirror, change into or out of a tank top or tee shirt, etc. I can’t sleep much at night for all the discomfort.
I don’t know what the muscle/area is called, but if you put your left hand on the right side of your upper chest (as if doing a flag salute in reverse), then move your fingers up just a couple inches so they’re near the shoulder, that’s where it’s really sore and swollen and tender.
I got a prescription for therapy and spent more than an hour at a half at my first session today. They did the assessment, electrical stimulation (feels really weird but is tolerable) and moist heat, use of sound (?) and a cream, then some cold, then some exercises which I must continue at home.
I’m going back tomorrow and then we’ll see where it goes from there.
I will have to put a pillow under my arm tonight after using a cold pack and then try some Aleve, since ibuprofen gives me nosebleeds and Tylenol isn’t anti inflammatory.

Have you had the P.T. experience?  How long did you have to go, and why?

Was it helpful to you?

The adventure will continue…

I was in a car accident almost three years ago which injured my back, and I’ve gone through four rounds of physical therapy, each lasting several months. I’ve had the electric stim, the heat therapy and the ultrasound, too, along with various other gadgets.

I am one of those that therapy could not help. My injuries are permanent and the exercises only aggravate it. The electic stim and heat felt really nice while it was being done, but I’d go right back the way I was soon afterwards.

I wish you the best of luck. Most people are really benefitted by going through physical therapy.

I have been in physical therapy several times. Once for shoulder problems, a couple of times for my back, and once for wrist problems. Each time was for different length of time, depending on just what course of therapy they decided on. All the sessions helped me, some to a greater extent. I have to be careful about my back still, but now I know the exercises to use to keep it going when it starts to act up.

Just so you know, their philosophy seems to be, make therapy so painful, you get well in self defense. :smiley:

I’ve been through PT twice, once following surgery to remove a piece of wood embedded in my palm and once pre- and post shoulder surgery …

The hand therapy was easier for me than the shoulder therapy … but both helped me. My hand is rated 90%, but I don’t notice any difference. I still have less range of motion in my left shoulder than my right, and it still aches at times (especially if I sleep on it all night) but I can do pretty much anything.

what they don’t tell you is PT really stands for pain and torture.

I had 2 therapists for my shoulder (just a scheduling thing) and their theme songs were “Cruel to be Kind” and “Hurts so Good”
Best wishes for a quick recovery !

Thanks…I’m going back this afternoon. It’s not too bad right now; tends to get worse at night, and I got out of bed early this morning because I was so uncomfortable there.

I tried Aleve and it seems to work okay except for leaving me parched.  

I’m doing Codman’s shoulder exercises with a can of soup in my hand; they’re not bad. The “peekaboo” exercise is worse: crossing my arms and then raising them.

I twisted my knee somehow a couple of years ago and it swelled up to the size of a softball. I had to have the fluid drained and a cortisone shot and then did two weeks of therapy.

It was a combination of massage and exercises to strenthen and balance the muscles around the knee, as well as ice packs and sessions with a TENS unit. One session of massage involved some really painful manipulation of some muscle on the side of my thigh (she actually left fingerprint bruises), but the rest was not unpleasant and I got into pretty good shape by the end. It was sort of like having a personal trainer.

I blew my knee out a couple of years ago, the doctor didn’t want to resort to surgery so PT it was. For two months (the doctor set that as the limit, if it took any longer she would have started cutting).

There were days that were worse than others, but I had a great therapist who had a sense of humor and truly seemed to care about my progress. I think if I hadn’t liked my therapist it would have been hell. It was great to see myself improve and move on to harder and harder exercises, the worst was when I had a setback for no apparent reason, and could no longer do what I had been doing. It all worked out eventually and I’m glad to have avoided surgery.

PT also taught me to appreciate the simple pleasure of a couple well placed icepacks after a hard bit of exertion.

A few years ago, I fell off a ladder and broke a shoulder blade, a non-displaced fracture. I could not move my arm hardly at all, so my doctor sent me to a PT who got my arm working again in about 4 or 5 weeks. Just two months ago, I messed up two of my fingers in a minor table saw accident (no part of any finger had to be picked up, that’s why I call it minor). I’ve been in therapy now for 8 weeks with many more to come. Moral of story #1 — it will take as long as it takes, and a lot of how long it takes is how well you work at getting better. It’s just like school, you will have a lot of homework, and the more effort you put into it, the more you’ll get out of it.

A couple years ago, my mother had hip surgery and was sent to a PT, the same one who did such wonderful work on my shoulder. When my mother saw her doctor the next time, she explained how she thought the therapy was going. Her doctor didn’t think she was progressing well, so my mother was sent to a different therapist who got her walking much quicker. Moral of story #2 — your therapist could be outstanding but may not be a good match for you or your particular situation. Be sure to explain to your doctor everything that is happening and be specific about the progress you’re making. Usually, the therapist will keep some contact going with the doctor, but it is still your responsibility to keep your doctor informed.

Yup. I like to put the cold pack on after I finish therapy (the area gets really sore after they knead it) and again before bed.

These folks are good; they helped my mom last summer when she fell and injured her neck and arm.

I’ve had PT numerous times, and all except for once, it was very helpful. The one time that wasn’t so good was after knee surgery; the PT had me doing so much stuff that was beyond what my knee was ready for that I could hardly walk for two days after each session. I finally told her she was pushing me waaay too hard, quit going, and ended up working at my own pace. If it had been something more severe, I would have asked for a different PT, but as it was, it wasn’t that big a deal.

But a good PT can make all the difference in the world. I had hand surgery some years back, and my PT was honest with me and told me that every single thing I was going to do would hurt like hell, but if I did everything faithfully I would regain full use of my hand. She was 100% right. I had to do exercises every hour, and I’d be sitting there at my desk with tears streaming down my face – but I kept doing them. Today I have 100% use of my hand, full strength and mobility, and zero pain.

Good luck with your PT. Just pay attention to your own body – you’re the one who’s feeling the results. Some pain is normal; but when you find the PT pushes you so hard that a session sets you back several days, it’s time to find another one.