So, if you get a ton of views on YouTube, will they just give you the money...?

To make money in youtube there are different ways

1. Youtube partner program
  2. Affiliate marketing
  3. Promote current business

How does one know (or how can one find out) if they are set up as a YouTube “partner”. I’ve been posting videos, have almost 300 subscribers, monetize my videos but have no clue whether I’m set up as a partner or not. Is it not enough to click the “monetize this video” box when uploading videos?

Question - what’s the deal with DammChannel? One of the most popular vloggers is Grace Helbig and she apparently signed a deal with them years ago to promote her “DailyGrace” channel. The contract expired December 31 but somehow they now own her channel (which was up to 2M subscribers) and she had to start over/revive an old one.

No one seems able to explain what they (and other “services”) do for YouTubers that would make it worth signing over your channel to them. And the channel will soon be worthless to them, since a vlogger channel is all about the vlogger - they’re uploading old content, and Grace has ~900k subscribers and growing as her fans migrate.

As I understand it, networks used to shield members from the Content ID system in some way. Let’s Plays of games, for example, can sometimes get tagged as violations even if the game creators are OK because the in-game music triggered a match.

However, a couple of months ago this changed, and network affiliates started getting hit as well, which is one reason some of them are moving away from the networks.

They also can work as an advocate. I know of one YouTuber that was doing a playthrough of a Japanese-style visual novel/dating sim. It had nudity that he edited out, but in one episode there was about a second’s worth of anime boob before the edit. That was enough to get the account terminated–no warnings, no strikes, just deletion.

If that happens to a normal person, good luck ever being able to talk to a human about reinstatement, much less it actually happening. But he was part of a network, and they were able to use their contacts to get his account reinstated.

I’ve heard things are getting silly about fair use. TheFineBros channel has had two episodes of their React series pulled by reps of Miley Cyrus and One Direction.