So I'm looking for a doctor...

and my Blue Shield guide lists both Family Practice and General Practice. I’ve always used those terms interchangeably. What’s the difference?

Family Practice: treats your whole family. General Practice: treats only top brass military.

handy, you crack me up. :slight_smile:

Suo Na, this is not the exact term you asked about, but maybe it will shed enough light.

From Komaroff, Anthony L., ed. Harvard Medical School Family Health Guide. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1999. Page 22.

Hope this helps.

I had to recently find a doctor also, and had to wade thru lots of terminology in the process.

This is what it boiled down to:

Pediatrician: specializes in medicine & diseases of children

Internist: specializes in medicine & diseases of adults (general internist)

Family Practise: usually family medicine, not specialized

Well, there is more, but I figure that is all you really want here.

Knead to Know has it mostly right, but omits the category you asked about; i.e. General Practice. This has mainly gone away in the US, but some are still out there. They generally have one year of internship before going out into the community to hang up their shingle. Or they may have more training than that, but not enough to qualify as a Family Practitioner or General Internist. They meet their state requirements for licensure, but are not Board Certified in a Primary Care Specialty (FP, Pediatrician, Internist).

Qadgop, MD, FP