So it seems the claim that the Oscars are snubbing black people is false

A quick google shows black actors are about the same percent of actors as the general population, about 13%.

I think calling two years running “many years” is a bit of misleading hyperbole.

Bias is really hard to determine when you have one or two winners a year. To really see bias you need enough data points that you get a law of large numbers sort of effect. Whatever bias exists in Hollywood, it is background radiation. I don’t think Hollywood is where you see expressions of racism or bigotry. If there is bias, then the academy probably doesn’t even know they are biased, they just have a natural preference for blonde chicks and guys that look like Tom Hanks.

1- Well, I’m not a statistician and don’t claim to be one. But even with my limited understanding it still seems like 29 wins and 9 nominations proves that the Academy has no problem nominating or awarding to African Americans.

2- The Netflix movie was not eligible for nomination.

3- So all you are really left with is 1 example in 2 years, Jordan…

Was going to add:
Whites are over represented at about 72% of SAG, making up the difference from Hispanic actors who are massively underrepresented at 7%

I think it was. The wiki says it played in independent theaters due to the boycott against it by big chains. Additionally, 538 says Elba had 6-1 odds to win it all, so I presume he was eligible. I could be wrong, but I see no evidence of that being the case.

Two years is not many years. I was commenting on the fact that many if not most years have no Black actors nominated, and that that trend has happened two years in a row. I wasn’t saying two is many.

Can you show your math please?

ok, well, perhaps/probably i was wrong. he definitely did a great job in that movie.

You can link to EyebrowsofDoom if you want (first post), I am repeating what he listed. I apologize if it seems I am making an excuse, I’m not a statistician and don’t claim to be one…

Proves nothing of the sort. It is evidence that the Academy is not utterly opposed to nominating or awarding to African-Americans, but it says nothing about whether African-Americans have equal opportunity, or whether performances of similar caliber are treated equally. A lack of such equality is a problem–it may not be as big a problem as an absolute ban, but it’s still a problem.

In fifteen years, there were roughly 300 nominations for acting awards, of which African-Americans garnered 29. That’s just under ten percent. African-Americans make up what percentage of SAG? and had what percentage of roles eligible for nomination?

And yet, you keep repeating this misleading stat as if it means anything either way. Again, as of tomorrow, 50% of the US presidents in the past 15 years have been Black. Does that tell you ANYTHING about political bias along racial lines?

Do you have a cite for that? This seems to argue it was eligible.

Well, no. People complained about Coogler not being nominated for Creed, Will Smith not being nominated for Concussion, no nominations for Straight Outta Compton, among others. That’s just for this year. I haven’t seen most of the movies so I cannot personally comment on their quality, but there were many people who others argue were snubbed.

African Americans make up 13% of the population of the USA. So if they are nominated 10% of the time how is that a “bias”?

It looks like “Beast of no nation” was eligible, but they definitely flipped the bird at the movie establishment. I am sure that cost it many votes.\

eta: I mentioned a few posts back that the % of black actors in SAG is similar to the general population (or at least those getting jobs/showing up for casting calls). I got that from a 2007/2008 SAG report

I already admitted that previous to 15 years ago it was biased.

Yes, I was wrong about that.

Have you seen Straight Out Of Compton? I think you said no, right?

I’d say Will Smith and Idris Elba were snubbed except that they usually are regarded pretty well…

No nominations for Elba… not a good sign, he’s very talented. Lots of other awards/nominations but none form the Oscars. Only two for Will Smith, 2 nominations, no wins.

Nominations/wins:

Rockwell - 0
Ruffalo- 3
Hawk- 4
Gosling - 1
DiCaprio- 5
(Bardeem- 3, 1 win
Downey - 2
(Jude) Law- 2
Crowe- 3, 1 win
Gyllenhall - 1
(Colin) Farrell - 1, 1 win
Norton- 3
Hardy- 1
(Josh) Brolin- 1
Oscar Issac - 0
Fassbender - 2
J Phoenix- 2
Franco- 2
McConaughey- 1, 1 win
Gordon-Levitt - 0
Giamatti- 1
(Michael) Shannon- 1
(Bradley) Cooper- 3

Very few wins on there and lots of very talented actors. But, it does seem to skew in the favor of white actors. I’ll select black actors from that list for comparison… next post

Best Actors under 50

Their percentage of the U.S. population is irrelevant; the relevant group is something more like “Oscar-worthy performances.” Now, how do you measure that?

If, e.g., blacks give 25% of Oscar-worthy performances but collect 10% of nominations, that’s gross bias. If they give 6% of such performances but collect 10% of nominations, that’s also biased, in the opposite direction. Which is closer to accurate?

Without a reasonably accurate number for the denominator, you’re whistling in the wind, and you don’t have it.

TOP 50 ACTORS under the age 50
(I selected who I thought were the best, didn’t want to do all 50)

Nominations/wins

Rockwell - 0
Ruffalo- 3
Hawk- 4
Gosling - 1
DiCaprio- 5
(Bardeem- 3, 1 win
Downey - 2
(Jude) Law- 2
Crowe- 3, 1 win
Gyllenhall - 1
(Colin) Farrell - 1, 1 win
Norton- 3
Hardy- 1
(Josh) Brolin- 1
Oscar Issac - 0
Fassbender - 2
J Phoenix- 2
Franco- 2
McConaughey- 1, 1 win
Gordon-Levitt - 0
Giamatti- 1
(Michael) Shannon- 1
(Bradley) Cooper- 3

A total of 4 wins
3 actors I selected had 0 wins and 0 nominations
Black Actors from the list
(includes all black actors from the list)

Smith- 2
Foxx- 2
Ejiofor- 1
Elba- 0

0 wins
only 4 black actors made the list of top 50 under 50…
it seems there is a bit of racism/bias here… IDK… is there?

still don’t understand

don’t understand why people keep talking about the denominator
(29/300… or did you mean something else?)

Then by the same token, do you feel that it has become more biased again, in the past nine years? As I pointed out in the original thread, Eyebrows’ data set was chosen for best-possible spin on the point of black actors’ representation.

Best Actor:
2007 NONE
2008 NONE
2009 Morgan Freeman
2010 NONE
2011 NONE
2012 Denzel Washington
2013 Chiwetel Ejiofor
2014 NONE
2015 NONE

Best Actress:
2007 NONE
2008 NONE
2009 Gabourey Sidibe
2010 NONE
2011 Viola Davis
2012 Quvenzhané Wallis
2013 NONE
2014 NONE
2015 NONE

Supporting Actor:
2007 NONE
2008 NONE
2009 NONE
2010 NONE
2011 NONE
2012 NONE
2013 Barkhad Abdi
2014 NONE
2015 NONE

Supporting Actress:
2007 Ruby Dee
2008 Viola Davis AND Taraji P. Henson
2009 Mo’Nique (winner)
2010 NONE
2011 Octavia Spencer (winner)
2012 NONE
2013 Lupita Nyong’o (winner)
2014 NONE
2015 NONE

Yes, I agree, the vast number of years with NONE is not a good sign

There’s bias in that list but I have no idea how it was compiled. AFAIK it’s just whatever this “changoander” guy thought. Why not do a comparison on top grossing actors or something else more objective.