Long story short:
Landlord informed me Jan 15 that they were selling the house and we had until March 15 to get out.
I looked and looked and did nothing but look and could not find a decent place to move to. So on Feb 15 I decided to buy. Within days I had bought a house and was in escrow.
But my escrow doesn’t close until April 25, and I don’t think we can get moved in until early May.
I wrote my landlords, apologizing profusely for the inconvenience, assuring them that we would do everything we could to make the house accessible to them in preparation for the sale. and offering to pay $200 per month additional for every month beyond March 15.
My landlord called me, the conversation was fairly pleasant. ( I could tell she was sort of offended that we bought a house but didn’t buy THIS house. They’ve been encouraging us to buy it since before we started renting it 4 years ago. But this house is a piece of shit and I hate the neighborhood.) I thought it was going to be ok.
Well, I get a letter today informing me that they want $700 extra per month for each additional month we are here.
They have a $2400 security deposit that I was going to work very hard to make sure I got back. It specifies in the lease that it cannot be used for last month’s rent. However, it also says that the deposit can be used for “defaulted rent”.
So… what would you do, and how would you handle it?