So, uh, is this Dirty Harry's new sidearm?

Then of course, there’s the pistol that the Joker had in 89’s Batman.

I want it.

Barrel envy. :smiley:
That last one must’ve had a 24" at least!

So shiny…

Yeah, it’s big, but I don’t think it beats Danny Vermin’s .88 Magnum.

I mean, can it shoot through schools?

Well, the .454 IS a production handgun. The .50 blows it away.

Muzzle Energy:
2600lbs - New Smith .50
1900lbs - .454 Casull
1315lbs - .480 Ruger
900lbs - .44 Magnum and .44 Automag
650lbs - 10mm Auto (my round of choice)
500lbs - .357 Magnum
410lbs - .45 ACP
370lbs - 9mm Luger

For comparison with several rifles:
2800lbs - .30-06 Springfield
2700lbs - .270 Winchester
1800lbs - .30-30
190lbs - .22LR Stinger

2500lbs - 12 gauge slug gun
1800lbs - 20 gauge slug gun

Fuck me.

I think they need to modify that “any game animal walking” statement.

Suitable For Any Game Animal Walking, As Long As It’s Mule-Deer Size or Larger If You Expect There To Be Any Meat Left.

Maybe that’s too long.

I’m thinking maybe I’d like one of these with a 2-inch barrel. Ya know, so it fits in an ankle holster.

This is an excellent tool to end the tragic and chronic problem of big-city muggings by finback whales and Cape buffalo.

• Rick

I. Want. One.
…oh look, my mastercard…

I wonder how long it’ll be before somebody’s sitting around with their new S&W and lamenting the fact that it’s less powerful than a .30/06 and decides to buy up some 20mm. anti-aircraft ammunition and see what they can build around that.

Come to think of it, didn’t some wingnut develop a revolver that fired the .45-70 Govt. cartridge?

I’ve got little girly wrists, so I don’t even care for the .44 Magnum. I fired a .454 Casul once and swore never to do it again. The rest of these things are just crazy. I’d have to put it in a vehicle mount before I even thought about shooting it.

Thank God for rifles.

I have a friend to whom I would not suggest such things…

Might want to keep that friend away from Tremors II. :slight_smile:

In all seriousness, I owned a .50 AE Desert Eagle, and that thing would leave some serious hurting on my wrists after just one box. I can only imagine shooting a couple of boxes with this monster.

I own a book called Cartridges of the World, or something like that. In it, there was a section on wildcat cartridges. If I’m not mistaken, some lunatic did indeed take 20mm shells, trim them back a bit and then neck 'em down to .223. He called it the Fat Boy (I think). My friend has the book right now. Lemme see if I can him to dig up the numbers and send them to me. They were ungodly.

Indeed they did. Magnum Research’s 45/70 BFR.
http://www.magnumresearch.com/old/bfr_specs.html

I’d bet dollars to donuts that BFR stands for Big Fucking Revolver.

:::Scene in Dirty Harry V: The Retirement Years:::

Harry: I know what you’re thinking. Did he fire five shots or only four? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I’ve kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a Smith & Wesson .50, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off your waist, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?

Pimply Faced Kid: I’m sorry Mr. Callahan, I’ll get off your lawn.

Oh, sweet Jeebus! Thanks, UncleBeer for once again proving to me that reality is far stranger than anything I could make up.