So, what are YOU doing on Legalization Day? (Cannabis in Canada)

The only reliable tests I know of right now involve urinalysis, and even then, limits and thresholds seem to be subjective.

I dealt with many drug charges in disciplinary matters at the local correctional centre. In many ways, they were similar to alcohol impairment: with a urine sample above level X, you are impaired; with a urine sample below level X, you are not impaired. But how level X was arrived at, was never explained.

At any rate, providing a urine sample is impractical at the roadside. I guess, Northern Piper, we will just have to wait for (as you so aptly put it) the inevitable court cases.

Message from the US West Coast: Congratulations on joining the club, Canada.

Not that I understand US law… but cannibals is still illegal; that’s why we’ll be arrested for possession at your border, while you can carry & fly into ours.

If legalization is really your club that we’re now joining, Canadians seem to hold a higher membership. :smiley:

It’s a one way…trip.

wanders away

I prepared ahead of time. This morning we awoke to “Oh, Canada” and I didn’t hit snooze until it played through. That was 90 minutes ago. My gf just heard a news report about Canadian Legalization and she told me she now appreciates my wake-up music.

Today I plan to smoke two joints.

Well, it is nice to know that Ontario has totally fucked up the legalization for consumers. First the Liberals had the freaking brilliant idea of only opening 40 stores in the province (giving the monopoly to the same people who run the Beer Store). Then the Conservatives get elected and scrap the plans for even the 40 stores the Liberals had planned. Private stores will be allowed, which is good, but until then (next March or April) all orders have to be on-line.

The on-line store didn’t open until midnight and good luck trying to reach it now…Ontario Cannabis Store. So even if you were able to get to the site to place an order, and there is concerns in the media that the supply is short, you won’t be getting it delivered until Friday if you are lucky or more likely, sometime next week.

Thankfully, I have some on hand from a shop in BC.

[quote=“orcenio, post:23, topic:823013”]

Not that I understand US law… but cannibals is still illegal; QUOTE]

I would hope so! I don’t think even Justin would go that far down the decriminalisation road.

The OCS website is hilarious. The descriptions of the various types of weed, which I suspect are probably all the same weed from the Business Factory, sound like descriptions of wine. “Monkey Freakout has hints of lemon, vanilla, and diesel fuel.” The only thing missing is a food pairing recommendation; “Try College Dropout Kush with Cool Ranch Doritos or a Big Mac.”

I’m also amused the government and media keeps referring to pot as “cannabis.” In the latter case I assume it’s a styler guide thing. No one I have ever known calls it “cannabis.” Weed, sure. Pot, marijuana, chronic, wacky tabacky, laughin’ plants, grass, dope, kush, 420, herb, ditch weed if it’s bad, ganja, but no one says “let’s smoke some cannabis.”

I’m betting they will sell a lot more poutine.

It took a while but I finally got through to the Ontario store website. I’ve ordered 4.5 grams for about $60. I’m not sure when it will arrive though.

That’s the name of the legalisation statute, RickJay: the Cannabis Act.

I assume they chose that because mariuanha was too hard to spell.

The monopoly was going to be the LCBO not the Beer Store people.
I might drive by a couple of the “dispensaries” that were up and running the last year to see if they all actually closed. The premier had given a sort of amnesty plus warning to them, close when legalization happens or you won’t be able to apply for a legit license. But 5 months is a long time for a business to just sit waiting and I doubt it would take much paper shuffling to get around. Maybe I will also swing by the old head shop. Haven’t been there in ages but they used to carry seeds under the counter and I’ll probably want to have a couple plants growing.

Usually my city, being on the Quebec border gives us extra options for alcohol buying but it seems our sister city isn’t part of the initial rollout of Cannabis stores.

Same shit, different pile.

Didn’t the premier himself run a “dispensary” of sorts back in the day? I seem to recall reading something about that.

As loathe as I am to sympathize with Doug F$%%^g Ford, he does have a hilarious dilemma. On the one hand, the conservatives love themselves some privatization, and fetishize small business owners, so scraping the OCS plans is exactly what you’d expect him to do. But on the other hand, they really hate hippies and other left-wingers, so trying to screw them over is just second nature.

On the gripping hand though, is his history as a hash dealer. In the end, money will win out.

Canadians have no concept of how a government is supposed to work. When the Liberals fall and the Conservatives take over, everything the Liberals were working on is supposed to be extinguished and its polar opposite installed because God hisself said so. Sounds like Canada is peopled entirely with Liberals–some slightly more realistic than others. Yeeshh…friggin Maple Leaf state.

come on, you know it was actually Oh, Cannabis

Not even remotely. LCBO is a government agency and profits go into the provincial coffers. The Beer Store is a government sanctioned monopoly (not quite anymore) run by the breweries.

To put a finer point on it, the Beer Store is a private corporation, with all shares owned by Labatt, Molson, and Sleeman. Profits go to those shareholders.

I wouldn’t call it a government-sanctioned monopoly though, as all the brewers did was to take advantage of a loophole in the 1927 law that allowed them to exploit an economy of scale. Each brewer was (and to the best of my knowledge, still is) always free to set up its own retail outlets, but it was found that beer sales worked more efficiently when the brewers banded together in a retail enterprise.

At any rate, the Beer Store is not government. I worked there for some years, and I certainly did not work for the Ontario government.

Do you have micros? Seems like we have a brewery on every damn street corner. And I think my state has carry out (you can bring a jug into the pub to take home).