So, what do you do for a living?

Hate to break it to you, but it appears to have been your 3,599th. :smiley:

How did you do all of those things? Did you go back to school several times?

Interesting stories, all.

Well, I was a waitress, until my last shift this past Friday. :slight_smile: As of Monday, I will be a receptionist for a very nice law firm.

And in between there, I’m an actress, desperately trying to land gigs.

I have a degree in music, and am trained in ski/snowboard instruction.

So naturally I am an underwriting compliance analyst at a medical malpractice insurance company. I play my strengths, obviously.

I’m a waiter and part-time student. Who’d have thought that college would be easier than serving the public?

Go you, indeed. That’s fantastic-- I hope it gets published someday. Good luck.
[hijack]OMG, this is my last post. My trial membership expires in a few hours. It’s been fun and everyone here was really nice. The days just flew by-- it’s hard to believe that my time is already up. Still, I’ll continue to lurk these forums, if it matters. Buh-bye.[/hijack]

I’m temping at a national call center at the moment, waiting to be hired on long-term, and have been a caregiver, hospital janitor, convenience store clerk, and Wal-Mart cashier in the past.

I am a high school English teacher–AP English Language and Composition, specifically, and I also coach an Academic Decathlon team. Teaching pretty much consumes all my time–not just the teaching part, but the school community part. I love it. Everyone else seems to feel I a m really good at it, though at times I feel a fraud!

Oh, and I wanted to add that one of my favorite things about the SDMB is how many people here have gone from one major life stage to another – people who started threads "Tell me about X school " and years later are still posting here but now as lawyers, librarians, or whatever.

Currently, I provide training and support for an equipment conversion that’s taking place in my company – a retail grocery chain. I have been to 61 of our locations so far, and I have about 25 - 30 more, so I and my two teammates have seen more of them than almost anybody. The more I see, the more I realize they’re all basically staffed by the same people with different names. Also, I pretty much hate it. I had a lot of fun at first, but now I feel like I’m living in Groundhog Day.

This is a temporary project; at its completion, I’ll head back to my store and resume my former duties as a customer service associate. I actually miss that more than I thought I would.

They call me a consultant, but what I really am is a quasi-inspector/oversight/project manager sort of person in the environmental remediation field. I totally fell into it, and I love the construction side but not so much the paperwork side. My degree’s in Animal Science; it’s totally unrelated, but it’s the piece of paper that got me into the business. I’m trying to move from the Fed side to environmental health for counties, as it would be more stable than a year-to-year contract.

I’m a secretary for a nonprofit. No stress, no brain drain, and just enough kid/client/parent interaction to keep me happy. The pay is definately a step down from what I made before, but the atmosphere, lack of stress, and generous vacation policy definately make up for the shortage of pennies. I plan to stay until I retire in 21 years.

[hijack]Oi, get on back in here! I’ll spot you your subscription, seeing as how I just got my new job and all. My first year’s sub was paid by (the always adorable) Roland Orzabal, and my time has finally come to pay it forward. I like you. Your good folk. Stick around!

Er… okay, mods? How do I do this? Can I just fling a paypal at you guys and say it’s for the user Clockwork And Candy?[/hijack]

I’m apprenticing to become an electrician at a union automaker. I fell into it after working on the assembly line for years and years. I feel vaguely guilty about it, not only do I lack any natural aptitude for the field, I never intended to go into it. A close coworker decided to pursue the opportunity and asked me along for moral support, she failed the testing but I passed so here I am.

Prior to my Rosie the riveter stint, I held a variety of retail and service jobs. One of the great things about being young and having no responsibility is the opportunity to try out a variety of careers, I’ve been a baker, waitress, perfume salesperson, warehouse worker, receptionist, telemarketer, cashier, nanny, if it’s low-paying and doesn’t require a degree I’ve probably done it.

[further hijack]Never mind, just read Tuba’s sticky in ATMB - :smack: You’ll be paid for in a few moments, Clockwork And Candy![/fh]

Don’t know if it’s still the same, but when cherryc picked up my first subscription, I had to just give her my password, have her go and buy it and then go in and switch the password to something else. Obviously, trust is important. But that’s what we’re all about here on the Dope, right? :smiley:

I’m a sysadmin for a small ASP/SAAS/Information Services-type place.

In order, I’ve been a museum tour guide, museum ticket-taker, busboy, banquet table schlepper/valet, library services assistant, and child support enforcement caseworker.

I’ve got a BA in History, and I’m currently working on a BS in IT and a few certs. I really like my current employer - it’s a tiny place, very informal, and I can wear flip-flops and shorts to work if I feel like it. I get to mess around with all kinds of platforms, but we’re a mostly-Unix shop. They’re paying for school - not tuition reimbursement - they just pay the bill every quarter. I can play Freecraft and fuck around on the internet for up to four hours per day.

I’m a Chemical Engineer, with an MBA. I’ve worked at several companies through my (haphazard) career, but I’m currently making engine oils and fuel additives. I probably make the detergent that goes into about half of your all’s motor oil (for the USAians).

And, I still don’t change my own oil.

My email has been on the skids forever now (grr), but I just followed Tuba’s subscription information for subbing another person, and I think it worked. I re-upped myself in the process by mistake, but what the hell. As if I could ever leave, anyway. :smiley:

I hope it worked, Clockwork! I’m pretty sure it did, though I still see “Guest” under your name (does one have to log in again to have it updated?)…

Interesting. If you don’t mind, can we discuss some of the ins and outs of this over email? Chemistry is my current major and I’m thinking of looking into chemical engineering.

Sweet! How’d you find a place like that?

I teach the English language here to people in the Royal Saudi Air Force. I like it because of the slow pace, low stress and high pay. Also I simply like being outside the US.

I’m a high school teacher. Next year’s class list is 2 periods of American Government/Economics, 2 periods of AP European History, and 1 period of Forensics (Competitive Speech & Debate.) But I am credentialed in Social Studies, English, Life Sciences, and Earth Sciences. I am also certificated in Gifted & Talented Education. I’ve been a teacher for 20 years, but before that I owned, at various times, a courier company, a chain of photo shops, a semi-truck washing business, a camper shell manufacturing shop, and worked as a semi-pro photographer.