So What Just Happened in Gaza? (March 1st 2024)

I am disappointed with press coverage. Something Very Bad jut happened in Gaza. There is just about no coverage about it except in the New York Times. I can see why, Gaza right now is a heck-hole. Starvation is starting to appear. The Israelis are keeping out reporters.

The Israeli papers like the J-Post have nothing either. IIs there a reliable source I am missing?

Paywalled

It was covered on all the major news sites. Its fairly clear what happened to a degree, Israeli troops opened fire while a huge crowd was waiting for a food convoy, 100+ people were killed:

Though exactly what happened beyond those basic facts, and exactly what killed those 100+ people (gunfire, a crush, or the trucks themselves) probably no one knows that’s the nature of these kind of tragedy. While I do often fault the news coverage for not giving the salient details they should, I think in this case its warranted, neither claiming “Israeli troops shoot dead 100 Palestinians” or '100 Palestinians killed in a crush waiting for food aid" is a reasonable thing for a news agency to say at this point.

It’s on the top of the CNN Israel/Hamas page.

This has been all over the news in every major source since early this morning.

Just typing “Gaza convoy” from the webpage name of the NY Times article into Google creates the autocomplete of “Gaza convoy attack” which produces links to dozens upon dozens of major news sources.

Even major news sources like the Portland Press Herald.

Is the OP asking about something that just happened today, like within the last few hours? The food line event was earlier and has been extensively covered (altho no good explanations have been produced, yet).

I like to spread paltry bits of good news. Giorgia Meloni and Joe Biden plan to organize flying in supplies to Gaza.

…and so poor SOB will get as close as possible to be the first to eat, and will be killed by the falling package.

Presuming this is what we’re talking about, as the OP hasn’t come in to say otherwise: this should be a gift link. https://wapo.st/48CpycH

and from that link:

hundreds of people, so tiny in the images that their human forms had almost vanished, desperately swarming a convoy of food trucks to grab what they could.

And then, off camera, the worst happened: The crowd stampeded, trucks crushed people under their wheels and a few Israeli troops opened fire, according to U.S. officials. [ . . .]

As at every point in this conflict, there was an immediate quarrel about who was to blame for the food-truck carnage. Palestinians claimed Israeli troops had massacred civilians, but those allegations apparently were false, as were Israel’s claims that its troops had no role. According to U.S. officials who spoke Friday with Israel Defense Forces commanders, Israeli troops at a checkpoint at the rear of the convoy opened fire and killed about 10 people.

…the article doesn’t make any sense. US officials state that they’ve been told by IDF commanders that Israeli troops opened fire and killed at least 10 people. That’s a massacre. How does that make the Palestinian accusations apparently false?

Palestinian accusations that most of the deaths and injuries were from Israeli gunfire. Some of which were quoted earlier in this thread. I agree that the article’s not entirely clear in its phrasing.

…and that appears to be the case. The WP article doesn’t even quote from Palestinian sources at all. How would the IDF know how many people were shot, or were allegedly crushed? They don’t have custody of any of the bodies. They weren’t at any of the hospitals.

And shooting ten people is still a massacre.

And this from the article is just plain weird:

There is nothing unintentional about Israel’s strategy here. Its deliberate starvation. Israeli leadership are on record that this is what they are doing. Trying to pretend that this is something that “accidentally” happened, and not the inevitable consequence of a policy to deny humanitarian aid to millions of people, is bizarre.