So what shortages are you personally seeing?

I use it as hand sanitizer, and a general disinfectant. I like it more than stuff like Purell because it doesn’t leave behind a greasy residue. So, i use it on my hands and my car key when I’m out, and I spray down my cell phone when i get back home.

I have been slowly using up the half liter i had in the house prior to the pandemic. I was able to score two half liter bottles a couple months ago. That should be plenty.

Yep. I have a bottle of 99% that I bought a couple of years ago to clean my vape pen. One Q-tip full does the job. I will have it for years.

Well, to be fair, we have been discovering a lot more assholes in our society this year, so more colonoscopies is to be expected.

I went to Costco a couple of days ago. They had a gigantic amount of Kirkland toilet paper and paper towels. No Charmin and Brawny. I’d say that 80% of the carts had one of each in them. They had Kleenex and also Colorox wipes in six packs.

Christmas trees!

Our normal supplier is down to on 4-5’ balsam fir. We reserved it online.

He says it’s been a crazy year and all the trees have sold out almost immediately they came in.

Its admittedly much rarer than initially thought but there have been cases, eg: Rubbish bin the likely source of Covid infection and a maintenance worker at Rydges Hotel who contracted the virus used a lift just minutes after a guest via the lift button. China has had about a half dozen separate introductions suspected via imported frozen food.

The problem with surface transmission is you need an incredibly rare set of circumstances in order to be able to definitively pin it on surface transmission. As most places where COVID is rampant, the bare minimum of contact tracing is being done, we will never catch most cases of surface transmission. The actual rate of surface transmission necessarily needs to have extremely large error bars around it.

[note post date was November 17]

Still no toilet bowl cleaner.

Rubbing alcohol, yes. Hydrogen peroxide, yes. Laundry and dish soap and I’m pretty sure there was bleach there, yes. Toilet paper and facial tissue and paper towels, some brand oddities but there. Quantity limits on all of them, but there. No toilet bowl cleaner, whether the less toxic type or otherwise.

I don’t know, of course, whether they’ve had it at some points in the last 2+ weeks, and I’ve just been unlucky in the timing.

I’m not having trouble finding toilet bowl cleaners in my area.

As near as I can tell, a lot of these shortages are spotty; some areas and not others, sometimes some stores but not others in the same area.

Some of it may be problems, not in supply in the sense of the items not existing anywhere, but in the distribution systems.

I love Pickle Loaf/Pimento Loaf. It’s a pork n beef based lunch meat with green olives. I only eat it now and then. Kinda sweet meat and sour olives.

I asked hubby 6 months ago to snag me a package just like I had 4 months before. Nope. Not to be found at our local (30 miles away) Walmart or Fairway nor at the City Walmart (50 miles away).

A month ago we hit another City and woohoo! There was 5 packages of it! I grabbed 4. It freezes.

A week ago hubby saw it at one of the local stores so he snagged 2 more packages. Score!

Pickle and pimento loaf doesn’t have olives as an ingredient. Olive loaf does contain olives and it looks almost exactly like pickle and pimento loaf. I love pickle and pimento loaf, I wouldn’t eat olive loaf except on a dare. I have no idea why it matters to me to be protective about pickle and pimento lunch meat.

I can get flour, sugar, baking soda, baking power, Christmas sprinkles, and caramel chips, but the chocolate chips are out again for the past two weeks. I suspect the store just isn’t ordering enough, because I’ve seen other brands at other stores.

Bought chocolate bars, so we can chop them up for chocolate chunk cookies. Often better than the pre-made chips, but a bit more work.

I agree, Olive Loaf and P&P loaf are different.

Eckrich Lunch Meat | All Olive Loaf, Pickle Loaf & More

Green scrubbie things.

For dishwashing, to scrub stuck-on food bits. Haven’t seen them in the stores for a couple of weeks and I’m down to the last worn-out one.

I went to the supermarket this morning. The shelves were full and looked pretty much as they had prepandemic.

Yup. I haven’t seen any bare shelves in weeks. I’ve been able to get TP and paper towels (the pre-pandemic brands, even), Clorox wipes and spray, 90% rubbing alcohol, and the usual brands of hand soap. Masks are of course everywhere (but no N95 masks), as is hand sanitizer – I now have a couple of quarts at home.

I still feel a primordial urge to buy TP and paper towels every time I’m at the grocery store. Having no access to a restock of supplies for 11 or 12 weeks (in spring we never ran out of TP but did run out of paper towels) was anxiety-provoking to say the least and I’ll doubt I will ever, ever let myself go below a 6 month or so supply again.

I still can’t get disinfectant spray (there was a period during about summer where I could, but that’s been over for a few months). Glad I managed to build some reserve stock on that. Everything else seems to be coming back.

I went to the supermarket yesterday, and the shelves were generally well-stocked. Weirdly, I couldn’t buy plain Cheerios. They tons of flavored Cheerios (honey nut, frosted, cinnamon…) but no plain. :frowning: I had to buy other cereal. That’s the weirdest shortage I’ve seen.

They were also out of the pastured eggs, but I suspect that’s because people buy a lot of eggs around Christmas. The stock of ordinary eggs wasn’t huge, but I was able to buy as many eggs as I wanted. They were also a little low on some types of milk, but there was plenty of milk.

Brawny paper towels were in stock, as were several other brands. But there was a giant sign saying “limit: one package per customer”. Last time I shopped there was no Brawny, which is my favorite brand, and I’m running a bit low, so I picked up a package.

I bought a lot of lysol-equivalent on line recently. If you want it badly enough to pay exorbitant postage for a no-name product, PM me and I’ll look up the source.

I’m not low enough right now to feel urgent, but I’ll keep this in mind. :slight_smile: