So what shortages are you personally seeing?

We needed a washer for a rental unit. Knowing the backups in appliances, I worried if everyone had latched onto the great deal that used appliances are. No worries, tons of used appliances at my favorite store.

Has anybody else been tracking the price of bacon lately? Yikes! I bought several packs a few months ago but have used them up. Looked at the prices yesterday…good thing tomatoes are out of season, because BLTs just got priced out of reach.

Mom reported that Publix was out of Evian bottled water. Canned garden peas are also hard to find, with canned veggies in general starting to look a little sparse. I’ve noticed random empty sections on the juice and snack aisles; also, there was next to no jerky on the rack Saturday. Has there been a jerky recall?

A sealing product that my company typically buys in cans started arriving last week in plastic-lined cardboard boxes. We were informed today that the cans are no longer available due to supply chain issues.

Try looking at your General Aviation airport. They have canopies there.

Locally made corn tortillas but that’s mostly due to labor strife at one of the major manufacturers. There were none at Aldi on Tuesday and the flour tortillas were down to the last few bags.

I went to the local Vons yesterday and it seemed very well stocked to me. There were a few shelves with spaces in them but I think, in this case, it was normal. Three years ago there probably would have been similar bits of empty shelves that I wouldn’t have noticed.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I actually haven’t heard that one before…

Old Redd Foxx joke:

Q: What’s the difference between a rich girl and a poor girl?
A: A rich girl has a canopy over her bed, and a poor girl has a can o’ pee under her bed.

I went to the corner market this morning to get some eggs for breakfast. There was one carton of eggs, and one of the eggs was cracked.

I don’t think there’s a shortage; just Friday is when they get their stock. Still, it was a bit of a shock to see the one lonely carton of eggs.

Ever since a few weeks after the pandemic started, my supermarket has, consistently, had plenty of eggs - at prices so cheap that I don’t see how it covers the packaging and delivery. We buy cartoons of 18 and they are usually 79 cents. They go up as high as $1.19 sometimes but the price always comes back down.

Mine is the same. They’ve erected solid walls between the various chairs, and there’s a machine with a cone-shaped intake next to the chair which is (I gather) intended to suck in any miscellaneous droplets and reduce the amount of aerosolization that gets around. They are all wearing substantial PPE. I have to swish with a nasty-tasting mouthwash (supposedly mostly hydrogen peroxide) at the beginning of the visit. AND they always remind me to remask as I’m walking away from the chair (bad bad me, I keep forgetting to put the mask back on! I always apologize and immediately remask).

Interesting article on the supply chain shortages here at NYTimes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/30/business/supply-chain-shortages.html

I’m really glad our Civic died when it did (a year ago) - as right now we’d be really in bad shape if we had to replace it. Ditto our roof replacement (last December) - we might not have be able to get it done if we’d waited until this year, between lumber costs and labor shortages.

I was at the grocery last night to pick up a few things and part of the fresh vegetables section – the part that has things like mushrooms, green onions, bell peppers, etc – was half empty. Must be store-specific, though, because I was at another place two days prior and the veggie section was overflowing like the goddess Abundantia’s Horn of Plenty. It’s this unpredictable randomness that’s annoying.

I don’t know if there is a shortage of lettuce, there seemed to be plenty at the grocery store, but I can tell you that I paid $3.50 for a small head of iceberg lettuce the other day. I otherwise would have left it alone, but I went to the store anticipating crunchy lettuce on a turkey and bacon sandwich. (Bacon: $9 for a standard package.)

Eggs seem to be in decent supply, but I can no longer buy small packages (6 eggs). I just don’t use that many eggs; a whole carton would go to waste. One local store has reasonably priced quail eggs; I’ve been thinking of giving them a try.

This is another thing. Grocery prices have really been skyrocketing. I’ve read about the general trend, but I’ve definitely been personally noticing it, though I’ve not paid attention to what items are specifically affected. Well, except the veal, chicken, and beef meatballs that I buy for spaghetti from an upscale boutique grocery were always overpriced at about $16 for a small tray of a dozen, but the last batch I bought two days ago was $21!

We buy a carton of eggs every two weeks. We get Jumbo eggs, and they cost $1.99/dozen.

Culvers (at least their restaurants around here) haven’t had Buffalo chicken tenders for months. They’ve had the “regular” tenders, which have a totally different sort of breading on them, and which I don’t care for, but no crispy spicy Buffalo goodness. :frowning:

Huh. Egg prices went up in March, as they do before every Easter, and have barely come back down. I looked just now and 18 eggs of a store brand cost between $2.30 and $2.90 today, and a dozen is $1.58.

Not really relevant to the topic, but I’ve never been a dentist that didn’t have separate rooms for each dental chair. Of course, I have been going to the same dentist for 30 years, so my experience isn’t exactly broad.

Me too but even my pediatric dentist decades ago was like that. It would seem weird for there to be someone getting their teeth cleaned right next to me.