So what'd'y'all think of the LOTR DVD?

No, we vetoed $20 Costco in favor of $15 Circuit City.

Boscibo: Doh! No it’s not DTS; it’s Dolby digital 5:1. Carry on.

Craps man, so in order to get all of the LOTR footage I have to shell out another twenty or so dollars for the “special” edition this Nov. I think that sucks. I mean, I know that in another year or two their are going to be EVEN more special features…

…well it all depends on if you want the Theatrical version and a bunch of things you can already watch (or have already watched) on the website. Sure the Two Towers stuff is cool… But not worth me buying the IMO lame version that is out now. I’ll wait for November. For the one that is worth my money.
Green “My nose is up in the air” Fool

I got the widescreen version at Best Buy last night for 16 bucks. I did my good deed by explaining to a nice woman who I overheard tell her young son “I think we want the full screen version because it will show more”!?

Great dvd, well worth it, I watched it last night and the Co. are about to enter Moria as my kids watch it right now. I will get the special edition (well, the gf is buying it for me as a present:):)) but seriously, those bookends are worth the price themselves! I have already set up where I am going to put them!!!

Sometimes it does mean that. Widescreen can be wider than full-frame, or sometimes it could be that the top and bottom really are chopped off to fit. It usually varies for each shot.

However, for FotR, you’re likely right in your guess.

I got it the day it came out from the Blockbuster 10 Free Rentals card.

When I first saw LOTR in theaters I felt like I was missing out on a lot as I found it difficult to understand some of the words (they do use place names, etc uncommon in English, after all.) When I saw it on the DVD–just finished watching it tonight–with subtitles, as usual, I found it much better. I really loved it that time. Perhaps it was the subtitles, perhaps it was the second viewing, but anyway I really liked it.

Tomorrow, I’m going to see the special features. I already saw the TTT trailer and it looks really good.

Dunno if you got an extra special edition or what, but mine does not have a DTS track. Only 5.1 DDex

Double DOH! That will teach me to read an entire thread instead of scanning it.

Ok, three posts in a row on the same thread. Sorry.

Can you expand on this GuanoLad? Widescreen, by nature, is wider than full frame. Not taller. AFAIK there is never any circumstance in which you will see the top and bottom chopped off to fit. Makes no sense.

I am known to be dumb though. Could you explain this?

Not taller than full frame, but shorter.

Certain film formats (super 35, for one, I think) captures more on the top and bottom than the director intends to be seen. This is usually converted to full frame by opening up the top and bottom, showing things (sometimes even boom mics!) that weren’t meant to be seen.

The FOTR DVD makes me wish my penis was thinner, so I could fuck the little hole in the middle. As it is… that night when we got it, I watched it (was up 'til 4:30 AM). The next day, I did a few errands, then I came home and watched it. Then I got dinner, played Counterstrike, then started watching it again. An hour into it, my buddy called me, and I went over there and we started watching it. Tomorrow, I’m gonna wake up, and watch it.

In fact, 'til school starts, all I’m gonna be doing is either A: filming, or B: watching FOTR.

::dances like a monkey with glee::

I bought it yesterday, for $15.99 without tax, and I had never seen the movie before. I figured that EVERYONE I talked to loved the movie, so I’ll go out on a limb, assume I’ll like it, and just buy it without seeing it. I made a good choice. I am just pissed I didn’t see it in the theater, and I am now so PUMPED for The Two Towers.

Incredible DVD clarity on this, and even with just a 2.1 sound setup, the sound was incredible. They actually mastered the 2.1 soundtrack to give faux surround sound, and it works. I thought I heard something behind me at a few points. Excellent!

Love it, love it, love it!!!

Jman

The viewfinder on the camera has lines on it to show which part of the image will be projected, which part is “TV safe”, etc. Depending on the lenses used, the cinema has mattes for the projector so that just the intended image is on the screen. (As usual, I’m posting before coffee. This is my first post of the day. I hope I’m making sense.)

I have Re-Animator on DVD, and you can choose widescreen or full screen. I noticed that occasionally, while watching “widescreen”, that there would be more image at the top and bottom of the screen. Doing some experimentation, it looks like they cropped the top and bottom of the full screen version to make it look like widescreen! :eek:

But generally, the widescreen version shows the entire image the director intended you to see, while the full screen or “pan and scan” version crops the sides so that the image will fill the TV screen verticaly. One of the best examples of this is in Planet of the Apes where Taylor is on trial. In the cinema and on the widescreen version, the orangutans take up the “hear no evil, speek no evil, see no evil” pose. In the full screen/pan-and-scan version, you only see the centre orangutan and the joke is lost.

Another good example is in Ken Branagh’s Hamlet (not on DVD yet, grr!). In the “To be or not to be” soliloquy scene, he faces himself in the reflection of a mirror as he speaks, and slowly walks towards the mirror. In the widescreen version, both him and his reflection are visible in the frame, while in “pan & scan,” you can only see his reflection! This is especially jarring as he approaches close enough to tap the tip of his bodkin on the surface of the glass… in the pan & scan version, the blade comes out of nowhere.

It really kills the visual poetry of the scene. I find this the case for most pan & scan movies, so I always opt for widescreen when it’s available.

We just got it too and I’m watching it tonight. I did notice a little blurb on the insert or the back that mentions there’s lots of easter eggs which you can find more out about at theonering.net.

I’ve heard of easter eggs but I’ve never looked for/found them. What are they and what am I looking for?

Now THAT’S entertainment!

For what it’s worth, Kubrick shot all his films in 1.33:1, and they are cropped on the top and bottom for widescreen display. So if you get the full frame DVD, you will see more than you saw in the theaters, and in fact you’ll see it in Kubrick’s preferred aspect ratio.

Sucks for me, though. I’ve got a projector and a 16x9 screen. Full frame movies have to be shown in the projector’s ‘native’ mode, which puts the image in the middle of the screen in a small picture that is about 75% the height of a normal widescreen image.

In DVDs, they are extra bits – credits, outtakes, etc, that you can only find out about by being in the know, or by fiddling about. The easiest way to find out about them is by looking at www.eeggs.com or similar sites.

So I borrowed a copy last night from a friend (as I am saving for the November edition) and I have to admit, the film stood up better than I remembered it in the theater. I think part of the reason is that I was too busy watching for EVERYTHING in my first viewing in the theater.
Last night I was able to relax and watch it.
It was wonderful.

I think that when all three films are out and available on DVD, this will be the biggest selling film for home theaters of all time. I also think at some point LOTR will rank with Gone With The Wind and Wizard Of Oz as one of the all-time, great film classics.

Hmm…nothing listed there yet. I’ll keep checking. Thanks for the link!