So where can I eat a kid boiled in it's mothers milk?

Dave Barbano, a food science prof from Cornell has this to say in response to “Why not pig cheese?”:

His colleague, Dave Bandler, observes:

From here:
http://ezra.cornell.edu/posting.php?timestamp=954820800

I would also hazard a guess that pig farming operations don’t produce a significant surplus of pig’s milk. It makes far more economic sense to let the piglets have it. Human use of pig’s milk is limited, although not, apparently, unknown.

From the Food Science Department at Cornell University (Question 4):

My husband used to whoosh city people about how we raised dairy pigs and had to milk them with really short milking stools. The milk is very tasty, particularly with a green onion swizzle stick. It usually took a while for them to catch on.

Now, for the serious wild ass guess: I’d say no, people do not milk pigs. Generally speaking, sows have nasty temperaments and sharp teeth. I’d certainly give milking one a pass.

Thanks for the answers and sorry for the hijack.

Getting back to the OP, I’d think the easiest way would be to go to a livestock auction and buy a bred (pregnant) doe. When she kids, start a-milking.

I’d recommend a pygmy goat. The kids are about the size of a large housecat when they’re born, yet you can get a gallon or more of milk per day. If you keep all of the milk and feed the kid with formula instead, you can come up with enough to boil the kid in a week, and it won’t go bad that fast if you refrigerate it.

And I’m with Cub Mistress on the pigs. Those things can have really bad attitudes and nasty teeth (and tusks!). You won’t catch me trying to milk one.

Hmmmm…Looking at my empty plate (coming from a kosher restaurant)… let’s see : fish bones, cream sauce… I think not.

I would doubt it. I don’t know how you would go about milking a sow. They are borderline domesticated anyway and you might wind up black and blue, or worse.

I see Cub Mistress beat me to it by a mile. What I wrote still goes just the same.

Don’t neglect Venezuelan beaver cheese…

I had kid braised in milk at an Italian place (Cafe e Cucina) here a decade ago. Couldn’t say whether it was goat’s milk though.

I recall a story similar to this in Isaac Bashevis Singer’s Stories for Children. I unfortunately don’t have a copy on hand at the moment, so I can’t look it up.

In Genesis 18:8, Abraham serves his guests a meal that includes a calf and butter and milk. It’s not quite a kid cooked in its mother’s milk, but it’s definitely not kosher by today’s rules.

Of course, he’s not the only Patriarch of the Torah to do something that would be forbidden by later Torah laws. Jacob married Rachel while married to her sister Leah, which is explicitly forbidden by Leviticus 18:18. (Polygamy was forbidden by the Rabbis much later)

Venezuelan beaver cheese is foul stuff. Though, it does gain a certain something when mixed with kumquat.

Anecdotally, we went to visit some friends who had gone Back to the Land, complete with goats. While there we had goat milk, goat cheese, goat ice cream, goat pepperoni, goat jerky, and goat roast. In other words, all goat, all the time. I believe the menu one morning included creamed chipped goat, over biscuits. If I were looking for kid stewed in its mother’s milk, that would be close enough for me.

My kids drank the milk enthusiastically until the next to last day, when they went a’milking with our friends. After that I was hard pressed to get 'em to drink milk from any source. No problems with the ice cream though.

I got the impression that, like many of the strange things prohibited in Jewish law, this dish was probably something prepared as part of the religious ceremonies of the surrounding people – maybe a Phoenician thing. In my agnostic opinion, the dfietary restriction may have stemmed in part from squeamishness about the inappropriateness of cooking a baby animal in the fluid that was supposed to be giving it life, but even more because it was the practice of an abhorred rival sect (who themselves probably chose to cook the kid that way precisely becauase of the associations). That’s just guessing on my part, but it would be consistent with other proscriptions that do seem to be based on the Jews setting themselves apart from their neighbors.

If enough people were interested, I could see a business opportunity here – The Anti-Kosher Cafe. It’s symbol could be a circled “K” with a diagonal slash through it, or something. But I don’t think there’s a big enough market for it, and the idea of a restaurant that exists solely to thumb your nose at the religious practices of your own neighbors seems offensive.

More specifically, the Canaanites, in this case. Some sources claim the “kid boiled in goat milk” thing to be a Canaanite religous ritual. There is not agreement on this as the motivation for the biblical injunction, however.

Unfortunately the statement “From Dave Bandler: “First of all, it would not be kosher! It would have a definite pigsty/pigpen flavor” is false. Pigs milk does not have a pigsty/pigpen flavor. It tastes like milk. In fact, remarkably like human milk. It is high in fat and protein which is why piglets grow so fast on it.

Pigs do have udders, in fact ours have as many as 16 teats. This is the real reason you don’t find pigs milk - you would have to have a machine that milks all of those teats and that is a lot more setup and cleanup. The advantage of cows is just four teats. We have sows that bag up just as much as cows. Take a gander at:

http://images.google.com/images?q=site:flashweb.com+petra

http://images.google.com/images?q=site:flashweb.com+blackie

http://images.google.com/images?q=site:flashweb.com+torn

I had some BBQ goat once here in South Georgia. How was it, you ask?

Not baaaaaaaaad

(really, it just tasted like BBQ sauce)

Mmm, zombie kid…

The OP is joking, right?