So where can I eat a kid boiled in it's mothers milk?

Jewish Dietary Laws state that it is forbidden to eat a kid (immature goat) that has been boiled in it’s mothers milk. Seeing as I’m not jewish, theoretically, such a dish would be fine for me. But where could I go to eat something like this?

Goat isn’t particularly common in the US/Australia and kid is even less so. Under modern production, you would have great difficulties trying to trace the mother of any particular kid so you would be restricted to small suppliers. And you would need a LOT of milk to boil a kid. How do you collect enough milk before it goes bad?

BTW: Marcella Hazan has an excellent recipe for Milk Braised Pork. I assume that could be adapted for kid. So can I do it at home? Can I go some place that would serve it?

Don’t know the answer to your question, but there were several times during their teen-age years when I was ready to do it with our kids. :smiley:

This might be more effort than you want to put out, but if you buy a female goat, get her bred with a billy goat, wait for the kid to be born, milk the mother, kill the kid, and voila!

Pretty vile, but it’s not a difficult concept.

That explains why I’ve never seen it on the menu in a kosher restaurant. Another mystery solved.

Their mother still produced milk when they were teenagers?!> :eek:

I read a Jewish story in fifth grade about a sinful city that did this. Being fifth grade, I can’t remember which city it was. But nobody locked their doors because lock-picking was taught in elementary school, and people ate kids boiled in their mothers’ milk. I suspect it was Sodom or Gomorrah and the author just made up the details.

As a real answer, though, I’ve been told what that means is you’re not supposed to kill a kid until it’s weaned. Why, I have a faint understanding of it but not that much.

FlyingRamenMonster:

I’m not aware of the story you were told, but as far as I know, Sodom and Gomorrah had nothing to do with meat-milk mixture.

Wouldn’t it be a lot simpler just to have a ham and cheese sandwich?

I think the OP raises an interesting question. Assuming that at some time in the past this was a common practice, is there somewhere today (presumably a non-Jewish community in the M.E.) where kid boiled in mother’s milk is on the menu?

One theory I heard is that it was an idiom or metaphor used to describe a type of behavior that is despicable, if not frowned upon - sort of like forcing someone to dig their own grave, or training an outsourced worker from India that will eventually replace them. Over time, Jews took the metaphor literally, and incorporated it into their dietary laws.

They make cheese from pigs milk?

Assuming you’re serioius… Jewish dietary laws forbid mixing the meat of any animal with milk (or milk products) from any other animal.

Question for anyone who knows: Does “meat” apply to fish?

I know this. It was the intent of the law, AFAIR, to keep people from eating meat with the milk of the animals mother. I also know that pigs are unkosher. Given the wording of the OP, “Jewish Dietary Laws state that it is forbidden to eat a kid (immature goat) that has been boiled in it’s mothers milk.” The suggestion that eating a ham and cheese sandwich, which is already unkosher, makes me wonder if there is dairy products made from pig milk.

Adam - MOT.

No.

According to Torah Law, it doesn’t even apply to fowl. However, fowl/milk mixtures are forbidden by Rabbinical decree, since fowl meat is somewhat similar to “regular” meat.

Fish “meat” is so dissimilar that it was not included in the decree.

Zev Steinhardt

But of course. ;j

I meant, if you just wanted to violate the dietary laws there are a lot simpler ways to go about it, like a pepperoni pizza.

I suspect you need to look at Ethiopian or perhaps Indian cuisine to find goat meat simmered in milk - but ensuring that it’s the own goat’s mother’s milk might be impossible.

Ah - here you go: Roast Rack of Goat Persillade Roast Rack of Goat Persillade (it’s near the bottom of the page.) A goat rib roast with a coating and sauce of goat’s milk.

I kinda get that as well. However, my question still stands - is there cheese made from pigs milk. We have goat and buffalo and cow milk based cheeses - I just don’t know about anything else. I suppose that the Mongols may have made cheese from horse milk.

I don’t know about pig’s milk, but apparently there are cheeses made from Gorgon’s milk, farmer’s milk, and stinking bishop’s milk. :eek: :wink: I have no idea how they tickle a cow to get Laughing Cow cheese.

Milking pigs and horses is not at all trivial, which is why you don’t find dairy products from them. See Marvin Harris’ book Good to Eat (AKA The Sacred Cow and the Abominal Pig).

He claims that milking pigs isn’t practicaL, AND MILKING HORSES, WHILE POSSIBLE, WAS A DIFFICULT AND COMPLEX JKOB TAKEN ON BY EXPERTS. yOU CAN’T JUST HOOK UP A MILKING MACHINE, OR MILK 'EM IN THE WAY YOU MILK COWS.