So which State (that matters to the Union) isn't going broke?

Seems like every freaking state is having budget crises, needing to take massive budget cuts and/or tax/fee increases, etc.

Yes, I know those intermountain west states that have like 55 people in them and provide actually no government services except for a DMV and a town sheriff are fiscally ok. But they don’t really matter. They’re not called fly-over for nothing

Are there any economically important states that are doing well (or at least not in dire straits), financially?
The only one I can think of is Texas… and is that even true?

Last numbers I saw, Montana was the only state left that wasn’t at least slightly in the red. So if you take the view (which I won’t even bother debating) that Montana doesn’t matter, then the answer to your question is “none of them”.

Is there some easy-to-access chart of current budgetary deficits for all 50 states?

Here’s the only list of current state budget deficits (Note: the deficit is different from the debt) that I could find online:

http://www.mybudget360.com/fiscal-situation-of-50-states-combined-budget-gaps-estimated-at-350-billon-for-2010-and-2011/

Generally speaking, obnoxious, insulting, rude, dismissive, ignorant side comments are discouraged in General Questions OPs.

Michigan is pretty much perpetually in financial crisis. The auto industry collapse and the recession has just made it a bit worse.

Ohio is doing OK, more or less, although we’re electing a governor this fall and I suspect whoever wins is going to have some VERY tough budget choices to make early next year. The winner might envy the loser.

Feceral hurricane recovery money has been flowing into Louisiana for going on five years now (not just Katrina, but also for hurricanes Rita [2005], Gustav [2008], and Ike [2008]). If Louisiana’s running at a deficit, it’s not a big one. There also hasn’t been the housing crash here as there has been in many other states.

Michigan was actually doing fairly well until just shortly after January 1st, 2003. Fiscal responsibility let the state get through the lows in addition to the highs. The current situation in Michigan certainly – certainly – owes a lot to the decline of manufacturing in Michigan, but unfortunately the state doesn’t know how to tighten its belt while at the same time asking its residents to tighten their belts.

<snort> Not a bad name for it, all things considered.

South Carolina is seriously hurting. They’re cutting aid for disabled people that’s going to either force them into institutions or force their caretakers to quit their jobs. It’s revolting.

I happen to live in Montana, having moved here from California, one of the most fiscally irresponsible states I can think of. Montana doesn’t spend as much money on its infrastructure as most other states do, but otherwise the services provided really aren’t that different from other states.

Montana is, however, a very frugal state. For example, the state legislature only meets every other year for 3 months at a time. Of course Montana doesn’t have to deal with illegal immigration-related issues like CA does, and we have a state income tax that is comparable to CA, but no sales tax.

BTW, there are almost one million people living in Montana… which is more than either Delaware, South Dakota, Alaska, North Dakota, Vermont or Wyoming has! And Montana is geographically the 4th largest state in the union. (I get tired of everyone picking on Montana…)

We are still in the black for now… but if things don’t approve economically, or if more severe cuts aren’t made, they will likely be in the red a year from now…

I believe that Texas is still doing fairly well — that there have been some cuts, but they’re more preventative measures than we’re-flat-broke measures like you see in (e.g.) California. And regardless of how you feel about the state, you can hardly argue that Texas is “unimportant” in the U.S.

and such was never claimed

According to this link, NH is 50 million in the red. And if our lovely governor hadn’t increased the general fund budget by 17.5% - the largest increase in two decades - in 2008 and then by another 10% in 2009, we’d probably be in better shape.

Eh, they’re having troubles. LSU (the main state university) announced some budget cuts. And if they did, I’m sure similar things happened in the rest of the university system. And it seems higher education is an easy target for cuts when there are financial problems.

At least it is not as bad as Georgia.

Here’s a more detailed breakdown of the numbers:

NC used Fed stimulus money to balance the budget last year along with a sales tax hike and cutting programs. I think this year there is no more Fed money so they will have to find something else to do, I don’t think they are going to raise taxes again.

We (Texas) are very likely doing better than other places, but we’re taking a hit, too. I know that we’re facing a budget shortfall for the next couple of years, and the state has asked state-funded colleges to begin setting aside a slush fund to help get us through the crunch. This while enrollment hits record levels–to the point of saturation.

PA’s not doing too badly. They balance the budget pretty closely. This year, PA will end up with about 5% over budget. Typically, there isn’t any deficit whatsoever.

Pennsylvania also has the boom of Marcellus shale development as well as the likely upcoming state severance tax that should significantly increase revenues. In fact, I’m surprised that Pennsylvania doesn’t already have a severance tax in place.