so why all the hate for captain morgan?

The characters are horrible barflies but I liked the commercials. Especially the bad lighting.

Someone we know actually drew some Captain Morgan ads. He prided himself on making the captain even more flamboyant.

I’ve never tried the stuff. I don’t like rum, and I suspect I’d like spiced rum even less.

Because they teach the youth about the pirate Morgan, and they say he was a very great man.

I’m going to say I actually quite like Captain Morgan.

I don’t know what varieties are available in the US, but here there is a “normal” Captain Morgan Dark Rum and Captain Morgan’s Spiced, which is not rum, but does contain it. They’re not the same drink.

I find Dr Pepper goes better than Coke with the Spiced version.

I never said I DRANK it, did I?

There was usually wine with dinner, though.

Rum is my least favorite liquor and Rum and Coke is probably the worst tasting mixed drink that’s regularly ordered. Add poor-to-middling quality to it and I’m already having a bad hangover thinking about it.

Cheap or just OK rum, where the nice rum flavor is hidden by spices I care naught for.

Light rum is great for mixing, and some rums are so flavorful you drink them like single malt. But of course you get what you pay for. Expect to spend at least $40-50 on sipping rum.

I’m not a big rum fan (but far from my least favorite). Rum & coke is usually too cloying, spiced rum or not. I find that it’s better as a Cuba Libre, which is basically rum+coke+lime as it cuts some of the aftertaste.

The real Captain Morgan would have laughed at criticisms of the quality, as he would’ve drank the worst swill possibly watered down (grog!). (Not a necessarily a statement of historical fact).

Because it’s not clear rum. The browner it is, the less drinkable it is. I could drink bacardi in cokes all night.

ahhh another thread for rum snobs.

I get it. And I also like a shot of the Captain, occasionally!

Mount Gay Eclipse or nothing!

I see the OP of this thread and that are the same.

As for sipping rum, my husband likes Pyrat, one of the mentions given in the other thread.

This sounds like a rarer opinion, most of the snobs like it the darker the better. But then I recently found out that someone I know likes the American League and bashes the National League, so anything is possible.

:o Didn’t notice, embarrassing.

I should try sipping rum, the only alcohol I don’t mix or shoot is whiskey (Buffalo Trace for the record) Tequila I shoot in reverse. Although the way some people make a martini, don’t fool yourself that’s straight gin/vodka.

Pyrat is good, and comes in a very cool bottle. Silenus- youre right Mount Gay is also excellent.

No love for Barbancourt?

I just came back from a trip and bought two bottles of Havana Club in Dubai (not the fake HC that is now being sold by Bacardi in the US). I haven’t cracked them yet, but I’ll report back.

I’m definitely not a liquor snob. I generally prefer drinks with less taste, because they’re easier to drink. Alcohol by itself usually tastes icky.

Strange… most people I know feel that in a rum & coke, the more molasses-ey flavors go well with the coke… up to a point.

Of course, Bacardi’s just trash anyway- harsh and medicinal when compared to say… Mt. Gay Eclipse Silver, 10 Cane, Ron Matusalem Platino, Flor de Cana Silver or Brugal Silver.

The main reason people bad-mouth Captain Morgan is that it’s one of those supreme triumphs of marketing over quality. It’s a sub-standard rum that is heavily loaded with a lot of chemical-tasting spices and flavors, and yet it’s super-popular due to marketing.

Spiced rums like Sailor Jerry, The Kraken and Old New Orleans Cajun Spiced Rum are far better.

The second reason is that in general, spiced rums aren’t very useful for most “serious” drinkers- they’re only useful in a small handful of “real” cocktails/mixed drinks (like the “Cable Car”), aren’t really good to drink by themselves, and are typically the province of drinks made at places like TGI Fridays or Chili’s, and/or uninspired drinks like the rum & coke.

I know, most of the snobs will say that spiced and clear rum and blended whiskey and any tequila lower than añejo is crap, so your taste is exclusivist, but not the same thing.

10 Cane is pretty clear but still a top rum. But yes, darker means more rum flavor.

Jeez, I didn’t even know there were any rum snobs. I though rum was all about being cheap and tasty with soda or in frozen drinks. In any event…

Release the Kraken!

I prefer Kraken over Captain Morgan. I prefer bourbon or scotch or good tequila over rum, but I do enjoy a Cuba Libre on occasion.