I always hear people saying “Well, she just wants her cake and to eat it too.”
Isn’t that what you’re supposed to do with cake? Eat it? What are you supposed to do with it, look at it?
What is the story behind this saying? I understand that it’s supposed to mean two things you want are incompatible, but how did this saying come to mean that? Because it just doesn’t make sense to me. Why can’t one have their cake and eat it as well?
If you have your cake in front of you, you have it in front of you. If you eat it you have it and all of its delicious goodness in your belly. Either way you have it.
[QUOTE=Johnny L.A.]
I say ‘You can’t eat your cake and have it too’. To me, it’s clearer that way.
[/QUOTE]
Me too, once I figured out what the heck it meant.
[QUOTE=Jake]
If you have your cake in front of you, you have it in front of you. If you eat it you have it and all of its delicious goodness in your belly. Either way you have it.
[/QUOTE]
Is the former cake stuff in your belly cake? I’d hate to see that stuff in front of me on my birthday with a candle in it.
So if you’re at a birthday party and the host says, “who’s having cake?” you should probably keep your hand down and wait for him to ask who’s eating cake.
[QUOTE=galt]
So if you’re at a birthday party and the host says, “who’s having cake?” you should probably keep your hand down and wait for him to ask who’s eating cake.
[/QUOTE]
Well if you insist on that interpretation of “having” then the phrase simply means you can’t eat something twice. Same implication, really.
<George Carlin> But where do you take a cake? You gotta take a cake somewhere. You know where I take a cake? …Down to the bakery to see all the other cakes .(insane look on face) </George carlin>