[QUOTE=What Exit?]
pseudotriton ruber ruber: What is your goal in all these recent rabid atheist threads?
As a partial defender of you I am interested.
I believe you are willing to promote a very unpopular position to highlight the Christian Bias of the board. Am I wrong about this? Do you believe that politely posting this will only generate some mild discourse and not change anything?
I believe you are way over the top about Tom, but maybe you feel you need to be to make your point and get people to at least look at the subject, even if you have to ruin your respect and standing in the SDMB community.
Jim
[/QUOTE]
I value the respect of those whose respect I’ve earned, and regret having lost some respect I might have formerly accrued, but that’s what capital is for: to spend, and I consider this important enough to spend some capital on. Telling a large group of people “Excuse me, but your core values, which I really like, are totally fucked in one small but crucial area” is a good way to incur hostility and change nothing in the short term and probably nothing in the long term. But it needed to be done. Much as as I value your respect (and in your case, Jim, I do), I value my own a little more, and to observe a serious flaw in the application of this message board’s central mission and say nothing was unacceptable.
Probably this board will continue to fight ignorance as selectively as it has done to date. Maybe it will take years of posters pointing it out and getting shouted down by the majority of Xians, Xian-sympathizers, atheists who are willing to handle Xians with kid gloves in exchange for acceptance and respect they’re unwilling to grant otherwise, and mainly people who don’t care about this issue at all but merely want to have a civil, friendly board above all else. I understand why these people behave the way they do, but that doesn’t mean that they’re right, only that they constitute the vast majority of Dopers and will have their way whether they’re right or wrong.
I feel better for having pointed out the untoward toleration of one belief system over others here, unpopular as that has been, and I’m sorry so many posters have responded to my pointing out this issue with such personal animosity. I’d point it out again in a second.
As to Tom, I still find it inappropriate to have a Mod so defensive about the claims made by liberal Xians, because he is one himself, in charge of moderating heated debates between his brethren and atheists, especially when he can’t restrain himself from joining the debates as an active participant, switching to a Moderator’s role, switching back to a participant’s, while issuing very serious charges of 'trolling" that result often in banning. Coming from a participant, such charges may be made by a reckless poster who may not know how seriously accusations of trolling are taken around here–coming from a Mod, I conclude he knows how serious such charges are, but does it anyway. The leeway that Tom claims as a result of the changes in allowing trolling to be discussed more openly applies to posters, but among Mods “trolling” is still a categorical offense that will earn someone a ban. Indeed, I think it must and should earn at least a suspension, and all Mods should use that term very, very sparingly, and even more so in cases where they’re not prepared to act on it. Tom used it recklessly, and is still defending his use of the all-purpose epithet “troll.” I find it highly inappropriate behavior from a Mod, and if most Dopers disagree, that’s their privilege. I’m glad I brought it up for discussion, and I wish I were more effective in making my point.