"So You Think You Can Dance"

She finished her audition, then puked off the side of the stage while the judges stared at her, torn between horrified and amused.

(Also, is it something that would gross me out to see on YouTube? I get squeamish seeing vomit in general, but depending on how they edited it…?)

They should never have left that sad display in the final cut for the show. It truly brought “cruelty” to a new level. There was no other reason than to tear the girl down to ground level.

If you’re at all squeamish about vomit, stop watching when she goes to the side of the stage.

If you don’t deal with puking well, you’ll want to take a pass. It wasn’t just her holding her hand over her mouth (which she did at first). They kept her on camera for a good minute, and showed everything. Fuckers. It was awful.

Thanks. Going on this advice I went to YouTube and watched the clip, and when she went to the side of the stage I just put my hand over part of the video area so I couldn’t see anything gross. Yeah they were pretty mean to her but based on this thread I expected it to be much worse.

Yeah, but the fact that they even aired it…WTF!

Personally, I wish they would simply refuse to audition people who don’t come at least reasonably close to having ‘dancer’s bodies.’ Meaning, they fall into the normal range both in height and weight (and the two in proportion to each other.)

Let’s face it, dancing is a physical activity. If you are doing enough training and practicing to have a decent shot at getting beyond the first round, then you almost certainly have enough muscles and exercise time that you aren’t WAY overweight. And the height thing – okay, it’s disciminatory, but the fact is they want dancers that can do paired lyrical and ballroom dances. It just doesn’t work if the partners are wildly different heights.

The 100 pound overweight dancers, the dwarf, any potential giant auditioners…they aren’t going to be accepted so the only point of letting them audition is to humiliate them on television to ‘amuse’ the audience.

I, for one, would be much happier NOT to be ‘amused’ in that way.

Agreed. There are plenty of OK…even good…dancers who are on the heavy or short side. But there’s no way in hell they’ll be hired for professional work. A chorus line has a certain look to it, and those dancers, regardless of their skill, won’t be chosen if they throw off the look of the choreography.

I’ve NEVER seen even a slightly overweight professional dancer. When you look at a Vegas chorus line, those girls are cookie cutters of each other. Height, weight, and body type are nearly identical, and you always hear horror stories about the ones who weigh in 3 lbs high and get fired. It’s unrealistic to even suggest that the one-off body types are going to be hired.

Will Nigel give up the gratuitous cruelty once we’re past the auditions? Because it really makes it hard for me to watch. I don’t know if he’s trying to imitate his pal Simon or what, but, as so many of you have said, no useful purpose is served as far as the dancers are concerned – and his remarks aren’t even witty, so it’s not like anyone in the audience with any empathy whatsoever is going to be amused.

“Like so many people who come to Vegas, you’re a loser.” Shut up, asshole.

It was nice they gave a pass for next year to the young woman who effed up her foot – but they should have given the part of “avuncular consoler” to someone who’s a better actor than Nigel. (Of course, bad acting is what makes his slams so obnoxious – he’s not even in a genuine snit, he’s just reading badly written lines off some mental cue card.)

Ditto! It’s not clever, witty or even funny. Just mean.

And will they ever show us some actual, y’know, dancing? I mean, of the 36 folks they’ll be trimming down to 20 tonight, we’ve seen maybe 6 or 7 dance, and only about two of them for more than 1/2 a second. I swear, this show is even worse than AI for wasting time on idiots like, as I saw her nicknamed elsewhere, Rainbow Brite and her “Were did you go?” “Fearliss” – how about seeing some of the people who didn’t get cut?

The dark haired just annoyed the hell outta me with her inane laughter. I don’t like her at all.

sorry… the dark haired JUDGE.

I cannot believe I just watched an hour-long dance show and saw less than 5 minutes of new dancing. Why do they think we want this fake-out melodramatic crap? It’s always so predictable to those of us watching at home.

Hawk was the only real surprise of the night.

Is that all that happened? I started watching, and fell asleep about 15 minutes in.
:frowning:
Really, I don’t get it. All 42 (whatever) did a final solo…couldn’t they have shown 15 minutes or so of each and then given an up or down thumb? Wouldn’t that have been more interesting than watching the horde sitting in the audience and reacting as each dancer came out and said yes or no?

It was at least nice of them to tell that girl with the hurt foot that she could come back next year and jump in at the same point in the competition.

Just saw tonight’s episode.

I dunno, guys. The lead judge is just unbearable (if he means it, he’s a borderline sociopath, if he’s playin’, he’s a really horrible actor, so it doesn’t really matter to me whether or not its an act), and the others repulse me nearly as much. I think I’d rather listen to Howard Stern than any of them. The overwrought fakeouts where just plain ridiculous. There were only snippets of the actual performances. And I don’t mind raw emotion, but can we hear from just one, just one person who 1. was just happy to be there, 2. was just having fun and never really expected to advance, or 3. doesn’t give a damn one way or the other?

See, that’s my problem with this show. From all appearances, it’s no fun at all. Survivor, even though it’s set in an unfriendly environment, is full of twists and turns and intrigue, and some contestants really get into it. The Amazing Race, for all its flaws, is a nonstop thrill ride for all regardless of where they finish. And virtually everyone who makes to any stage of American Idol has said that it was a positive experience. Here, the hopefuls work their hearts out, they get berated by five surly overlords (and a few self-important dance instructors), and when they get knocked out, it’s like the end of the world. Where’s the thrill? More to the point, where’s the entertainment?

Well, the prelims are over, so I guess I’ll find out soon enough if this is still worth watching. I’m desperate to see a full routine now, so I won’t be missing it. I’m kinda dreading the audience reactions to the judges’ comments. Mainly because it’s going to be verrrrry predictable. :smiley:

anybody here who can dance salsa???please help me…i wanna learn it…

I was esp. pissed off that they advertised the first hour as “new” on TVGuide, and it was just a re-edited version of the previous night. I think it was re-edited.

I’m hoping the competition will be more dancing, less Nigel.

And I hope that judge who wears his hat so you can’t see his eyes is gone, because that annoys the hell out of me. And he better stay the hell off my lawn, also.