*sob!* I'm giving away my hoard!

No, I haven’t joined Hoarders Anonymous.

Mr VOW and I are smack dab in the middle of a two-week stay in our home in AZ. This is a true mental health retreat.

Plus we get to sleep in our own bed! Aaahhhh!

I have detailed in numerous posts that Mr VOW had a “Widowmaker” heart attack. He’s actually recovering nicely, thank you very much!

One of the factors of his recovery is his cooperation with a “heart-healthy” diet. He’s had to accept many changes these past few months, and the change with the biggest effect of all is purging his diet of sodium.

Life now means lots of fresh foods, almost no fast food, and seasonings are encouraged, as long as they contain NO SALT.

Processed foods, almost everything canned, and all mixes are verboten.

So, I cleared out most of my spice cabinet, and a good portion of my pantry has been evicted. Everything is boxed or bagged, and I have a neighbor who will gratefully accept whatever I give.

Tough decision, but it is absolutely the right one!
~VOW

Back at the start of this pandemic my divorcing friend realized that he had a bunch of stuff in his cupboard and freezer that his ex had bought but which he can’t eat. (He’s on a self-imposed no-processed-flours-or-sugars diet, and has been on it long enough that he now reacts horribly to the stuff.) He was positively gleeful when he realized that he could clean out his cupboards by dumping it on me - for a good cause, even!

Wait, seasonings are encouraged, and yet you got rid of most of your spice cabinet? I may have read that wrong.

Oh **~VOW **, my heart goes out to you. That would kill me. Hoards are sacrosanct.

I’ll light a candle for you.

Oh! Joy! Now you can buy more stuff to hoard.
I kinda hate you :smiley:

You downsized your spice cabinet? Did it mostly consist of various seasoned salts?

If it makes you feel any better, the shelf life of most packaged herbs and spices is such that it’s not really worth “hoarding” them anyway. If you’ve been keeping any of that shizz around for longer than a year or two, especially in the case of ground seasonings, it’s probably gone pretty dusty and tasteless.

I kept plenty of the good guys. The ones I purged were loaded with salt.:eek:

Also got rid of the meat tenderizer. Betcha didn’t know good old Adolph’s is over 50% SALT!
~VOW

I had to give away my Horde. In These Trying Times it is difficult to feed an army of Mongols.

I’m still un-hoarding, although the waterfall has slowed to a trickle. I found a bag of IQF chicken boobs which must get gone. The bag says something to the effect of “injected with a solution of chicken broth and salt.” Uh, no…

The lady I’m giving the stuff to is delighted. She and her husband are both retired, each with grown kids, and as times get tougher, I think the grown kids are showing up on her doorstep.

They can all have box mac and cheese, and salty chicken!

~VOW

"One of the factors of his recovery is his cooperation with a “heart-healthy” diet. He’s had to accept many changes these past few months, and the change with the biggest effect of all is purging his diet of sodium.

Life now means lots of fresh foods, almost no fast food, and seasonings are encouraged, as long as they contain NO SALT."

Did his physicians actually call for a “NO SALT” diet, or one reduced in sodium?

While dietary changes (most importantly calorie reduction) have established value in ameliorating or preventing cardiovascular disease, controversy remains about the value of low sodium diets. A recent Cochrane review noted a lack of convincing evidence for benefit in prevention of cardiovascular disease:

Similarly, another comprehensive review concluded that low salt diets may not help heart failure patients:

Of course, VOW’s physician(s) are in the best position to evaluate and make recommendations for his health.

For many, considerations include quality of life as well as evidence for health benefit (extreme dietary limitations that include very low salt intake may be problematic in this respect).

Low sodium, <1500mg per day, limited fluid intake, 1500-2000 ml a day.

His last echocardiogram showed a great deal of improvement from when he suffered the heart attack. For a while he was being considered for a defib implant.

Salt is insidious in the average diet. Most people pay no real attention to it, and they probably would be dumbfounded by the amounts they consume. We have all but eliminated fast food, and my pantry purge got rid of the nefarious mixes, blends, and shortcut cooking helpers. Goodbye, boxed mac and cheese! So long, Shake-n-Bake!

The doctors, from cardiologists to Primary Care Providers, simply say, “heart-healthy” diet, and give the sodium limits I stated above. My daughter and I asked his rehab team for a dietitian consult. The dietitian was astounded by our cooperation and willingness to learn about diet guidelines.

I will say, since we have been in AZ and it’s beastly hot. Mr VOW called his cardiologist and asked about increasing his fluid intake. He got the okay to drink when thirsty.

We make sure his drink is cold and contains plenty of ice. He does drink more because of the heat, but he’s conscientiously accommodating his actual thirst.

As of today, he has lost 49 pounds from his pre-heart attack weight.

It’s been a lot of work for everybody. But we happen to think he’s worth it.

~VOW

The salt loss is hard. Once it’s done everything you taste is way too salty.
I’m not sure how much salt I was ingesting, must’ve been way high.
Now I can eat ‘one’ cracker that’s salted. I’ve never been big on chips, no feeling of loss in that dept.
I’ve been living on a restricted diet my whole life. One more thing won’t cause me trouble.

Someone whose eaten exactly what they wanted all their life it must be difficult.

Hang in there Mr.~VOW!

After stents (multiple procedures) last year, I was sent home with the admonition from one nurse to eat a “heart healthy” diet. No instructions on what that means, no official instructions from the Doc hisself, just that one comment after the last stent.

I decided to do the following:

Eat nothing that ends in “ito” (Frito, Dorito, Cheeto)
Eat nothing that comes from a vending machine.
Eat (almost) nothing from restaurants which have drive-thru windows.

And stick to food which is mostly its original form. Chicken that looks like a chicken, veggies that I can tell what they used to be, and beef that’s still in its original cut.
Also no added salt from me, just whatever was in the original critter or plant.

I eschew anything that’s had been run through machines, or unidentifiable from it used to be. (i.e. Potatoes are fine, french fries are not; Beef cuts OK, ground stuff not – you get the picture).

I’m hoping this is good enough as a set of general guidelines. I follow them 90% of the time, with a small number of lunchtime visits to fastfood, and those I skip fries and such. Like yesterday I finished a lab procedure that required various doctor potions and fasting until 3pm. Upon my departure, the docs said to stop as soon as I could and eat, even if it was a burger. I of course followed the Doctor’s orders.

God bless your doctor!

How are your numbers doing these days, pullin?

I am anxious to hear how Mr VOW’s bloodwork looks.

I do know this much: if you are carrying around too much weight, and you decide to do the diet-and-exercise routine, it takes the body a LONG LONG time to respond. Just because you lose thirty pounds, don’t boogie to your next dr appt expecting a parade and a graduation from all pills.

After a substantial weight loss, it can take UP TO A YEAR before the cholesterol numbers drop, and your blood pressue looks wonderful enough to stop the pills.

Sad but true!

~VOW

Thanks VOW!

Numbers are all good, according to the medicants. They’re currently chasing an elusive malfunction and I’m getting to meet new lab techs with cool machines (MRIs, Ultrasounds, and CTs so far). As a part of all these new imaging devices, a lot of numbers and functions are getting measured as well (stuff that’s normally not evaluated). I appear to be running at nominal specs, so the hunt continues.

Per your cautions, I’m a little overweight, but not terribly. I’m also on PT due to a rotator cuff injury so various professionals are overseeing (and enforcing) my exercise compliance. Hopefully this will all lead to fewer bottles in the medicine cabinet.

Thanks again for your concerns!