Soccer/Football question - "behind-closed-doors friendly"

In an article about Wayne Rooney’s current situation, it was mentioned that some of the only playing time he has had recently was in a “behind-closed-doors friendly” vs. Real Betis.

I understand a “behind-closed-doors friendly” is a match closed to spectators (and the press?), no?

What is the purpose for such a game?

If just for practice/training, why go through (what I assume is) the trouble to play against a Spanish team rather than some other English team?

Thanks in advance.

They may’ve wanted to to try out a game plan against a Spainish team in case they face one in the CL this year. Generally speaking behind-closed-door friendlies give teams the opportunity to try things out they don’t necessarily want to broadcast to the rest of the World. Real Betis were on a pre-season tour of England so playing them would’ve been no trouble.

I follow Scottish football (yes, it’s a thing). Teams there play “behind closed doors” friendlies occasionally, maybe once or twice a year. Often it might be when there’s a break in domestic football for international games, and the manager wants to keep his non-international players fit. Also, if you don’t open the gates to the fans, you don’t have to print tickets, arrange catering, stewarding, police, electricity to the supporter’s areas, parking, and so on. Quite often the games are arranged at short notice so it’s easier just to keep the fans out.

The press in Scotland (and I think England) also use the term “bounce game” - these terms are pretty much interchangeable. Maybe “bounce game” refers to an even more informal game that “behind closed doors”.

A closed-doors friendly game may also have special rules, such as allowing for more changes than usual, or for long breaks. It lets the teams try things which would cause a huge ruckus with public, such as moving players out of their usual posiitions, which may be done not so much because Mister wants the player in that new position as to give the player a better view of the position itself.