Soccer rules question.

Sadly, some still do. Some also call the touchline a “sideline”; the goal line an “end line”; extra time “overtime”; and stoppage time “extra time”. And then you also still hear U.S. commentators saying a foul was called because of a “high kick”; and even that a coach was “given a red card” (similarly you’ll still see inexperienced referees actually show a coach a red card in lower-level amateur matches–maybe even in the NCAA–I don’t know… that game sometimes seems so different from soccer that I hardly recognize it.).

Much of these terminology errors would almost be forgivable if these announcers at least demonstrated a rudimentary understanding about the game in general.

Hockey has the best offside rule , the first guy over the blue line has to have the puck. After that anything goes. It’s stupid to call offside 3 feet from the goal. Having the blue line also makes it easier to call offside - though they still make mistakes.

I’ve decided that it’s a difference between American and British English. Americans will say that someone is in the hospital; English will say someone is in hospital (without the article), but it sounds weird to us.

“Offside” is anyway a shorthand way of saying that a player is an offside position. It’s also a rule in American football (and, I suspect, rugby). And most Americans that don’t know that the rule exists in soccer will also refer to an American football player as being “offsides” even though the infraction in American football is also called “offside” and not “offsides”. It just rings more naturally to our ears. Likewise, even though FIFA terms them “laws”, we generally refer to them as “rules”. Same with sideline vs touchline, out of bounds vs out of touch, etc. There are certainly many Americans that know these distinctions, but most don’t really care. And probably shouldn’t, as long as the meaning stays consistent.

While the difference between a “sideline” and a “touchline” is merely cultural, the difference between “offside” and “offsides” has nothing to do with culture, and everything to do with improper use of the language. There is no particular American English nuance that makes use of the plural more acceptable to our ears.

My point is that it must be more palatable to American ears, since it’s an extremely common thing and runs across pretty much every sport. As far as I can find it’s not a proper usage for any sport. Most likely it then stems from misuse, but in the end it’s become part of the vernacular. Since it’s clear what is meant in these instances, it’s not really a battle that’s worth fighting.

It’s common enough in the US to be used in books about soccer.

http://books.google.com/books?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&um=1&lr=&q=offsides+soccer&btnG=Search+Books

They also use the term “offsides” in German language broadcasts. Since Germany has won more World Cups than England I think that the English should just adapt.

:wink: