Soda in returnable glass bottles

Omni is right about the third world. Pop in Nepal comes in bottles. And I believe it’s made with real sugar, though they do not list the ingredients. The only bummer is, it’s not sold in stores. You buy it from some guy on the street, and you have to drink it right there so you can give him the bottle back. These sorts of things make me laugh so hard that I think it’s half the reason I do charity work.

Don’t get me wrong–I love life. I’m just finding it harder and harder to keep myself amused.

Nobody has mentioned Stewart’s excellent Orange and Cream. Perfect.

IBC anyone? They have great Rootbeer and a great Black cherry soda.

Speaking of throwbacks, it is nice for this Pittsburgh guy to see all of you folks talking about “pop.” I now live far east enough that everything is “soda,” not even “soda-pop.” I’m sorry, but “soda” is seltzer water. Once you add sugar, you have pop.

Uke I think I know what I’ll have for dessert today!
Thanks for the tip.

Keith

You want brilliance BEFORE I’ve had my coffee!!!

Jones makes a Killer Vanilla cola, and their cream soda is also quite enjoyable. And if I am in a fruit mood, I love their Wild Green Apple flavor. Oh, and I am in San Jose, so it’s available in CA also.

>>Being Chaotic Evil means never having to say your sorry…unless the other guy is bigger than you.<<

—The dragon observes

I was helping my aged aunt clean out her home and stumbled upon a box full of small little bottle in small little boxes. They were Hires Root Beer extract! I asked her about them because I had never seen anything like it before and she said that one used to be able to buy them for flavorings. Some people used the thick extract to make their own soda. The stuff had solidified nearly into superglue by the time I found it, but I’m keeping it to see if it might be collectable. It still smells GREAT!

Mark
“Think of it as Evolution in action.”

GASP How can you mention IBC and not cream soda in the same sentence? They make the best cream soda (and root beer) in the world.
And ONLY in glass bottles, 12oz & 32oz.

I don’t think you can get them in stores across the country, though. They’re outta Ft Worth, and I know you can get them throughout most of the South, but I’ll be damned if I could find the stuff in Pennsylvania.

Oh wait, just noticed from your post that you were getting IBC in Pittsburgh. Well hmm that would indeed be Pennsylvania. Maybe I just didn’t look hard enough

You know, all of us in Harrisburg always thought you people were nuts for calling the stuff “pop”.

Still I suppose that’s not as bad as it is down here in Lousiana where it’s “soda water.”

I tell you, I’d kill for a Coke made with sugar and served in a glass bottle. Kill who? Hopefully the brain dead idiot(s) that switched from sugar and then to plastic bottles. It’ll never happen. I would gladly pay $1.50 for a 16 oz bottle of Coke with real sugar. If those bozos from Atlanta would put it out as a premium product, they’d make a mint. Those of us who care would be switching to a more expensive product, and the rest of the world could stay with what they drink now. Idiots.

If you drink from Glass bottles, which are made from sand & sand is sodium silicate Aluminum, don’t you get more aluminum then from an aluminum can?

Well, they quit using returnables because the grocery stores crabbed about dealing with the returns. But then there was such a problem with “disposable” containers, some states had to require deposits on cans. We should’ve stuck with the returnables.

weirddave, I’m with you. A speciality Coke (what shall we call it? Coke '57?) made with real sugar and more carbonation - I don’t know about kill, but I would bruise someone pretty badly for one.

Here in KY we have Ale-8-One, a glorious ginger ale-like substance which until recently was only bottled in Winchester, KY. It is still available in big green thick glass bottles with a 20 cent deposit. You can also get it in non-returnable longnecks or (shudder) cans, but no one in his right mind would do so.

Also, in my misspent undergrad days (two years ago, that is), we drank Old Milwaukee from returnable bottles so I could use the empties for my homebrew. $9.19/case, with the $1.20 deposit.

Dr. J

[[I think that Coke & Pepsi still sell recyclable bottles in most of the third world countries. Its just the North Americans & Europeans who suffer with the plastic. Maybe you should move to Africa.]]

Mexico has em, too, and that’s a lot closer (and technically part of North America?)
Jill

Ok, wound then. How about Coke Gold?

Speaking of glass bottles, does anyone else remember the Pop Shoppe? You would pick up a case of 10 or 12 ounce bottles, in a couple dozen assorted flavors, and trade them in every week or so for a new assortment. Those bottles were re-used a lot!

I absolutely fuckin’ love Stewarts!!!

Best ever: pour together Stew Rootbeer and Orange&Cream. Vanilla ice cream optional.

Anybody else remember those plastic globe things with a little spout that sticks in the bottle and another spout on top to drink out of? The globe opened in half, and you put a scoop of ice cream in it, to make a float on a bottle. We used to have a drawer full of these gadgets in our kitchen, and I’ve met very few people who remember them.