Some Light COVID News for a change -- Name That Drug ! Not Bamlanivimab!

Really?

Bamlanivimab?

How do they generate these names? It sounds like someone was trying to generate a palindrome, but screwed up at the last second.

Read the comments at the link

Surely someone on this Board can suggest something better

“Bambi”–references the drug name, mother died (could have been COVID; we’ll never know).

I can’t be the only person who reads that name and think:

♪Black Betty
Bamlanivimab♫

Little Richard would be proud.

Indeed, you can’t. :smiley:

Novid?

My working theory for a while has been that they dump a couple of sets of Scrabble tiles into a bag, yank out a handful, and create the best name they can from their randomly selected tiles.

You’re definitely not. This person posted similar on Twitter yesterday. https://twitter.com/scarredempire/status/1325958375801118721

That’s probably actually a name they couldn’t use, due to the implcation that it would be the treatment for COVID-19. There are rules about having any inherent meaning to the name of the drug (beyond that which describes its chemical makeup.)

Speaking of which, is this the chemical (aka generic) name or the actual product name? It would be fine for the former, IMHO.

They were so close…

Why not Bamlanivinalmab?

or Bolton…

Or if you’d like to possibly off 45, Obamalanivimab.

That was the first thing I thought when I saw the name, palindromish but not palindromic. Maybe because while it will probably help with the effects, it will not slow the spread of the pandemic?

Bamlanivimab would be the generic name.

An oncology pharmacist once walked me through some of these med names. I think naming standards have changed somewhat, so this may not be 100% accurate, but from what I remember:

These antibodies need to be created by some sort of organism. A lot of times mice are used. Those medications end in -momab (MOuse Monoclonal AntiBodies).

Here’s more on Wikipedia about it:

Don’t get excited; that’s just the generic name.

By the time we’re blanketed with TV ads for the drug, it’ll have an appealing Rx name like BlyssPluss or Totally Awesome Sweet Alabama Liquid Snake.

No it won’t

If it’s like the other medicines I see advertised on the TV news, it’ll have a name indistinguishable from that of a Marvel comics super-villain, or a kaiju, or a distant planet from 1930s pulp science fiction.

“Ask your doctor if Barugon* is right for you! May cause rainbow swelling in some users.”

*Not to be confused with Baragon.

*“I’d like some Bamalamadingdong”

One of our local news anchors here in Columbus, Tracy Townsend, fought that bad boy for a full hour a few days ago when the news broke. They kept hitting her with the bump, and at one point she appeared to wipe real sweat from her brow, and said, “I’m gonna get that right. I am…”

This sports dome was built 25+ years ago in an attempt to lure an NFL team to St. Louis. After some false starts they eventually succeeded and what had been the Los Angeles Rams moved in.

Of course the facility was immediately nicknamed the “rama lamba ding dome”. The fact the cheerleaders were informally called the “lambs” made it especially good.

The dome still exists; the Rams and their lambs have long since left for gr$$ner pastures.

Stephen Colbert riffed on the name quite a bit on last night’s show.

They should have gotten the guy who named Skyrizi… Snoop Dogg.