Gary T is on track.
Basically, Here’s the scam. A fundraising company will affilliate themselves with a police organization which may or may not be reputable. The fundraising organization keeps 85% of what they raise and the other 15% goes to the organization.
ALMOST ALWAYS, THE DONATIONS ARE NOT TAX DEDUCTIBLE!
Funds raised can be used for any purpose including the drunken parties that some police depts. are famous for. They also may be used for legal defense of crooked cops. You just don’t know because they are not registered charitable organizations and don’t have to file the reports required of a charity.
You can play games by asking if the donation is tax deductible or if the fundraiser is a cop but they may still lie to you. It is better to just steer clear of them.
The scam works because of the intimidation factor. Don’t get sucked in.
What’s really sad is that 9/11 was a huge boon to the crooked business.