Something you learned about for the first time -- today!

I saw the poster for the first time an another site’s (not nearly as good) version of MPSIMS.

Aha! Mystery solved.

The only thing I learned today is that a nineteen year old guy from my hometown killed himself. :frowning:

Damn, now I gotta try cheer myself back up again…
Grape-fruit monkey in a Cadillac bargain bin cheddar hat. Okay, I feel a little better now.

I learned that this Japanese penpal girl is probably really really into me. I mean, I always had a vague notion, but it’s becoming clearer by the day. Yesterday, I gave her a verbal message over the webcam and she LOVED it, so I think the writing is now officially on the wall.

Steve Carell auditioned for Whose Line Is It Anyway? (the British version) and was turned down.

Edit: And it was less than 24 hours ago that I read this article, which says that Wagner may have been a cross-dresser.

Message should be massage :smack: . Of course, over a webcam there are lots of messages. Some dont even require a decoder ring.

I learned that coriander and cilantro are essentially the same thing, though some may say that cilantro are the fresh leaves and coriander is the dried seeds. They are still from the same plant, which can be called by either name.

I’ve just today learned that, after repeated warnings to my children (ages two and six) to steer clear of my right foot because I had that ingrown toenail removed this morning; seems as if they’ve interpreted it as “aim every available object directly at his foot to see if we can get him to jump”.

Although, I really should have already known that.

Have you noticed that the odds for dropping stuff on your toes go up as you remove layers of footwear? Boots – not a chance; shoes – hardly ever; sock feet – 50/50; flip-flops – more like 60-70%; barefooted – almost dead certainty.

You can walk into the kitchen barefooted and a can will fall off the shelf and hit your toe.

One of Murphy’s Laws.

I learned for the first time today that when I wear an itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, yellow polka dot bikini, I get funny looks – being a man and all.

Applause! Well done.

I once dropped a half-gallon glass bottle of rum on my thumb whilst trying to not drop it on my toe.

Tears and screaming ensued.

Without a doubt. Favoring an injured part of the body so as to avoid additional injury will invariably cause a more serious injury to some other body part. It’s in the Bible.

“Do unto injured body parts, as those injured body parts would do unto you” ?

That’s from Acts, right?

This is silly, and petty, but I feel like I should have discovered it months ago.

If I’m using the touch sensitive pad at the base of my laptop computer, I can just tap it and it acts like I’ve left clicked. I don’t have to tap the button next to the pad.

(Bought laptop in August).

I learned* that the cartoon dog that did the mmm mmm ecstatic float-in-the-air routine was Snuffles from Quick Draw McGraw. I thought it was Precious Pupp, though apparently Precious did do it in at least one episode.

Now if I could just find the sound clip.
Mmmmmm

mmmmm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mmmmmmmm

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I’ve eaten food that tasted just that good :smiley:

Edited to add *or, rather, relearned since I must’ve known that back when.

I learned that “improve” and “improvise” aren’t etymologically connected.

Well, that and that flank steak is on sale at the supermarket, but somehow I don’t think that’s what the OP is looking for.

I learned that Dr. Ruth (yep, that Dr. Ruth) was a sniper for Haganah during WWII.

I also learned that store-bought frozen meatballs are kind of yucky.

I learned in this article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/03/04/svsurf04.xml that some big wave surfers blame Ken Bradshaw for not saving Mark Foo’s life when Foo drowned.