Sometimes too much is too little

I note that they used a deferred sentence, so if she doesn’t reoffend (which should be trivially easy) her felony record will be expunged.

I can’t to speak for the judge, but it seems like they gave her the most lenient sentence possible.

Weren’t we supposed to be losing nurses en masse because of Covid-19 vaccine requirements? I haven’t seen convincing evidence of that.

This case was an outlier involving an extreme situation. Some might argue that a better question to be raised is: how many patients are we losing because of highly avoidable gross errors?

Last I heard, about a quarter-mil per annum (looks like this link was already posted upthread @Jasmine ):

And for those who enjoy rallying around the flag …

Error rates are significantly higher in the U.S. than in other developed countries such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany and the United Kingdom (U.K). At the same time less than 10 percent of medical errors are reported.

Ironically, that figure itself appears to be grossly in error.

Medical errors are a significant problem but do not constitute “the third leading cause of death”, as quackery promoters like to argue.

Particularly if there’s any significant degree of underreporting, pretty much any stat will be worth questioning.

Another article that addresses the subject:

The seminal Institute of Medicine To Err Is Human report estimated that between 44,000 and 98,000 Americans die every year due to preventable adverse events. Although there is no doubt that quantifying the magnitude of preventable harm galvanized the field, the mortality estimate drew criticism almost immediately (including from some of the researchers whose studies were used to derive the estimate).

From the linked article in the OP:

“According to documents filed in the case, Vaught initially tried to withdraw Versed from a cabinet by typing “VE” into its search function without realizing she should have been looking for its generic name, midazolam. When the cabinet did not produce Versed, Vaught triggered an “override” that unlocked a much larger swath of medications, then searched for “VE” again. This time, the cabinet offered vecuronium.”

“Vaught then overlooked or bypassed at least five warnings or pop-ups saying she was withdrawing a paralyzing medication, documents state. She also did not recognize that Versed is a liquid but vecuronium is a powder that must be mixed into liquid, documents state.”

“Finally, just before injecting the vecuronium, Vaught stuck a syringe into the vial, which would have required her to “look directly” at a bottle cap that read “Warning: Paralyzing Agent,” the DA’s documents state.”

It seems that there were formal strategies in place to avoid such an error, which were bypassed, overlooked or ignored.

No, she was indeed not a good nurse.

Now, while I was against criminal charges for her egregious mistake, I did say that a lifetime ban. loss of license and of course civil liability would be reasonable.

Another nurse has been charged with murder.

The story given by law enforcement sounds like a bit more than negligence.

Now from my perspective, this is an entirely different offense.