song lyrics

Cecil once discussed the meaning of the lyrics in “American Pie”. I have often thought of the lyrics of some other songs and what the artist was referring to. For example, “House of the Rising Sun”.It’s about a house of ill repute, right? So explain the lyrics. Or, how about “Hotel California”…or choose one of your own liking.

I don’t remember where I heard this, but IIRC, House of the Rising Sun was indeed a brothel in (?) New Orleans. It was pretty well known. That is all the rusty ole’ brain will conjure.

DON PEDRO: Your silence most offends me, and to be merry best becomes you; for, out of question, you were born in a merry hour.

BEATRICE: No, sure, my lord, my mother cried; but then there was a star danced, and under that was I born. -Much Ado About Nothing, Act II, Sc: i

While we’re on the subject, what good sources of song lyrics have people found on the Web?

A link regarding Hotel California:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_001.html

I had already read the material at this link…and knew about the colitas.

I agree with the idea of a look at Southern California in the 70s and it fits with what Don Henley has said about “The Last Resort” being a sequel.